March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3, Philbert, dukxdog), 800 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Chuck, your gun is lovely. While it is not exactly my favorite "look" it is definitely not over the top to me. I prefer a bit darker with marble cake grain or crotch grain feathering...but that is just me. I truly don't think I can say that I have ever seen wood that is TOO MUCH, but I definitely have seen engraving that is too much, for me that is. Lovely wood is wonderful and when on a good double gun it is even more so. Of course, that is just MY opinion. To each their own.

Stever
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a total wood guy myself.(pull your head out of the gutter!) But like Franchi, I believe like anything, a gunstock can be stocked over the top. Someone trying too hard. Maybe it is a total taste thing, but sometimes, not often mind you, but sometimes, the gun just does not look like I think it should look.

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Start sending me photos with quotes on those guns you own that are stocked over the top, just make sure you deduct heavily for that exhibition wood in your quotes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too gaudy? Only on the other guy's gun. If it were on mine I'd try to tolerate it. But some chunks of firewood and some human craft and artistry do look "better" than others in that everything fits together and nothing takes over or fixes the eye in one place. A pretty blond with raccoon eye makeup looks like a raccoon.

jack

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, IMHO...Never!! I love nice wood, even in the duck blind. Wood to me is just as important as nice engraving and polished bluing. To my eyes, a work of art with function.

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the top is any exibition stock on a field grade gun with little finish left. I saw what had to be a thousand dollar blank years ago on a beat to death 311. Gun looked worse for the fancy wood. Problem was that I could not figure out how to save the stock for a better gun. This was a marble cake, English blank, with all the color and fiddle you could pour into a blank. It would have been home on the finest Lefever Optimus gun. It looked way over the top on the 311.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, i really like all that contrast in your wood! Bobby

This discussion seems somewhat like a married man complaining about his wife wanting sex too often.....

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jerry6stl
This discussion seems somewhat like a married man complaining about his wife wanting sex too often.....

If anyone has a wife with that problem that they are also complaining about send me a picture and price on her as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy,
The lighting in a photo of figured woods really changes what you see. The earlier post of that gun were with a bounced flash off the wall/ceiling. Even with the bounced flash, the lighting is intense and the camera computer balances the overall exposure based on a lot of things.

I've made a good attempt to replicate what I see in person, albeit even that changes substantially depending on lighting conditions. But this pic was shot a few minutes ago on my patio under a shade. The pic was then adjusted in Adobe for brightness and contrast just a little to show my skintone correctly. Not a lot of correction was required but just a bit to get it "real" looking. Still looks a bit contrasty to me, but close enough for gov't work.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.