May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (CJF, earlyriser, R. Glenz, Wild Skies, Kolar Dickson), 312 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,572
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106681 08/11/08 12:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering removing some wood on a Western Arms gun. In spite of the gun being excessively heavy weight reduction isn't my primary objective. I'd like to remove the pistol grip but equally as important I'd like to thin the wrist. Right now it is 4 11/16" in circumference. I would like to get it under 4 1/2" and 4 1/4" would be even better. Is there a minimum wall thickness on a through bolt stock that should be adhered to? This is a 7 1/4 lb sixteen gauge gun. The only thing I shoot in it is 2 1/2" shells with 7/8 oz at no more than 1200 fps, so the amount of recoil the wrist area of the stock gets subjected to isn't much.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't make it smaller that the rear of the receiver. Keep in mind that the lighter it becomes, the more recoil it(and you) will endure.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 08/11/08 01:55 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several things will determine what you may do in thinning a stock. How is the grain/pore structure aligned? How big is the stock bolt hole? How long is the stock bolt? What kind of wood was used in the stock?

Jim's comment about the size of the reciever is important. It is not so much recoil you have to worry about....it is the stock flex under recoil. Browning is having problems with the Ultra Lite and XS breaking under recoil flex at the back of the receiver due to lack of sufficient (IMO) mass of wood. I have had to repair six so far in the last four months due to this problem. Wood was not too squirrely in structure so can only conclude it had to do with flex of recoil upward causing the breakage.

I would be hesitant to suggest farther than 1/8" OD downsize unless I could really inspect the piece of wood first. Blindness really get one into a boiling kettle sometimes. Can we see pics?

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a western LR 20 that I found a 12 ga Nitro Special stock for at a gun show and made the alterations you are talking about. Withthe pistol grip gone the wrist is 4 1/2 and I haven't had any complaints. Just keep the belly line staight. Fortunately most WLR and Nitro specials have fairly plain staight grain. Good luck.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took pictures with a top and side view. The stock is squarish and just by reshaping it to more of an oval or diamond cross section by removing wood where it is the thickest would get it where I want it.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the pics. A slab sided action doesn't lend itself to a rounded profile easily. Try to blend it back not from the receiver but from the middle of the bottom trigger guard screw. Getting the pistol grip off will allow some leeway in making the stock look as you desire. The toe line(behind the pistol grip) will have to be raised to make it look right IMO). By putting flutes in the comb you should be able to bring the top into a rounder profile.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why don't you get a pre-war Suhl clunker with a cheek piece. Those things have minimalist stocks. Look for J.P. Sauer Suhl on the rib, or obscure name of dealer on the rib (still proly made by Sauer und Sohns). Working on Western Field SxS is labor for lost cause!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That thing belongs in ole' shed with missing boards.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the lighter it becomes, the more recoil it(and you) will endure.

Even a 6lb. gun should easily handle 7/8oz. loads. With the loads you're feeding that 7+ pounder, I wouldn't sweat the recoil.

As long as you don't go to extremes, your stock should be able to handle a reasonable amount of slimming. Mind you - and no offense intended - a slender wrist on that gun might wind up looking like a silk purse with the sow still attached.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skip,
In agreement with DES, I would look at some guns like Fox, Parker, etc., and take some ques from them. A Parker stock tends to be quite thin in the wrist. But then, I've seen more Parkers with broken wrists than Nitro's. Nevertheless, imagine the "cheeks" or "panels" just aft of the reciever, then start narrowing from there. I'd use a rasp to start with, then on to some 36-40 grit, then finer and finer. Your wood is in good shape and should be fine at a thinner profile, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.