April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,107 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Pawnbroker:

Do not fire this gun!!!!!

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Pawnbroker:

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Pawnbroker:

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

JAGC

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hello all. First post here. I'm the guy Michael found on the other forum who plans to eventually publish some sort of reference material with regards to these shotguns (I've since gotten involved in another writing project about a baseball-related topic, but I have all my notes and whatnot). What you've got there is a mid-production Geha (metal medallion vs. a wood medallion on earlier guns). The markings "Germany" and "Nitro" indicate it was made for export.

The 12 Gauge (aka what you have) and the 16 Gauge are the two most common Gehas. A third gun made in 20 Gauge is rather uncommon. Contrary to popular belief, Gehas do not explode when fired. They are not ticking bombs. Just shoot light loads in them and you'll be fine.

A poster above adequately described them as "clunkers," however. I'd agree with that. The sprung bolthead on a Geha or Hard Hit Heart (Remo shotguns, which were of much higher quality, had them screwed in) can pop right off and fire without it. Thus, for your own safety, use the gun as a single-shot only and not a 1+1. In fact, both catalogues I have featuring these guns say "only put one shell in the magazine."

Further, since a lot of the guns are chambered for 2 9/16" shells (Frank de Haas got it wrong after saying they're all 2 3/4"), using short shells would not be a bad idea if you can't measure the chamber. I know some folks say the difference is infinitesimal, and I believe it, but I'd just err on the side of caution.

Another problem with the Geha is its hellacious recoil. Sometimes, the stock will even crack right behind the upper tang...keep it well-oiled with raw linseed oil.

Anyway, your gun is not in very good shape, unfortunately. While it's merely worn in most aspects, the sling swivels are add-ons. A few early Gehas had sling swivels, but they were quickly omitted and these early guns are quite uncommon. If I had to put a value on it, I'd say $100-$150. I'd actually keep it...they're not drillings, but they are certainly unique and entertaining.

Hope that helps ya!

"Do not fire this gun!!!!!"

Franchi, no offense, but I've found a lot of evidence suggesting that the guns that blew up were overloaded, abused, or simply not Gehas (when Remo was going under, they marketed a shotgun sometimes mistaken for a Geha-type, but it was not a Mauser '98 action shotgun...that's the "Remo-Popular" and it really was quite slipshod). The oft-repeated myth that these guns are somehow death traps is just that, a myth. And it formed during the 1920's-1930's, a time during which ALL German guns were considered to be death traps, sturdy Gewehr 98's and Krieghoff & Sempert Bock-Drillings included. However, from the gun's clumsy appearance, no one ever bothered to try and bust the myth (except Frank de Haas, who despite a plethora of incorrect info, advocates firing the guns).

Last edited by Dalkowski110; 08/26/08 10:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry but this is the wrong forum....we don't have a section to discuss junk guns or their history.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Then what am I supposed to do, not answer the man's question? Leave him hanging?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Due to less metal being honed away that 28br at $onty$hitney site is probably quite shootable. It's very rare in 28 gauge (most I have seen were 16s), but at $1800 one has to wonder what is being smoked? Ok, they are a little better then BA Mossbergs, but they are freaking fugly!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hopefully he left it hanging in the Pawn shop...

As Junk German Art.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. Let me help>>>> Bolt Action Rifles 4th ed by Frank de Haas and Dr. Wayne van Zwoll pg. 334. It's also in 2nd, and 3rd eds. of this book.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.