April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, Marks_21, Jem Finch, earlyriser), 1,044 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I watched some airline folks push gun cases and other long cases off the conveyor belt about waist high into a pile on the tarmac then drive around with the cart picking them up last at Vegas. Buy the best case you can afford. When flying back from the winter custom gunmaker show in Reno the TSA gal reset the combination TSA locks and had to get a supervisor to unlock them. Then the airline lost the case with two rifles for a couple of days. I'm about done flying with guns.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in the touring business- ATA cases have there place but when weight is a factor and for overall protection for gun size items the Pelican wins every time.

Look at my site http://www.paragon-productions.com

all of that is in ATA cases

al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MPE
I use a Browning Travel Vault and have been very happy with it. I think it is the same as the Pelican case. My Dad has the same case in bright orange and says he can spot it a mile away and no one will walk off with it. I use master pad locks on it and also carry a spare pair in my carry on in case TSA cuts them off. I have not needed the TSA locks yet.

Take care,

Mike

Mike,
I think the Browning cases may be made by Pelican for Browning. Pelican is about 1/2 mile from my house and is a fairly large outfit with no direct retail sales that I'm aware of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: binko
Al,

If you noticed I referred to REALLY ROUGH handling! If I had a $150,000.00 pair of Boss, Purdy, or Holland & Holland Doubles, I don't think the price of shipping or the excess weight would make much difference, just so long as they were protected as well as possible, and from my years of playing music, and touring around the country, there is none better, for protection, than a true Anvil case, IMO.

binko

If I had a pair of $150k guns, they'd never get handled by a baggage handler at an airport. I'd take the "cheapo" guns for trips. Something I could afford to loose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have said, I like my Pelican. $200 for the 2-gun model. An internet search should yield you a small savings over the Cabela's price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko the Sane recommended a case made in the US. that starts with a Z when this discussion came up here several years ago. I bought two of them and have been well pleased. Someone correct me, the name is Zenil or something like that. They were a great aluminum case for the money several years ago and I assume they still are.

Boxlock
Boxlock

These are a nice design. Makes carrying a possibly high dollar double, not so obvious.

http://www.roostersporting.com/luggage.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is Ziegel Manufacturing well built cases for a fair price
http://www.ziegeleng.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have both Pelican and Americase. They are both good and both heavy. Americase did some drop testing if I remember correctly, of course to prove thier superiority.

One thing about Americase. You can now get them to make a case sort of custom fit for your gun. I have one and like it.

The best way to fit a Pelican is with a reciprocating knife(electric turkey knife). Pelican is the standard case for rifles of the tactical variety.

APS, you don't have a real 59 narrow panel bassman that you area tired of do you??

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Hardigg Storm Cases. Have them for luggage and gun cases. Co I work for did extensive testing vs Pelican a nd chose Hardigg for multiple reasons to protect equipment. Gun case has african trips, short breakdown case is what I ship in all over the place and my luggage has 100's of thousands of miles on it. Never an issue. The latches are more secure and easier to open and close.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.