March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Dan S. W., Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 722 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
I must admit I don't see any advantage to having them at all. Does anyone know the theory behind them?

Harry

Harry,
I'm surprised at you! Those flats make it so much more convenient to latch on to that barrel with a pipe wrench of course!

With that, I shall retire to the hunting fields with my Sharps in pursuit of a wiley mule deer.

I lok forward to seeing what transpires while I'm going.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rigby barrels on American rifles.

Marlin-Ballard rifles offered a “Rigby-Finish” barrel, using the design that John Rigby introduced to American on his muzzle-loading rifle. John Rigby, the Dublin, Ireland maker not only imported Ballards but used them personally in competition, his targets were used in Ballard advertisements. The barrels with the Rigby flats are not Rigby barrels just Rigby-style barrels and have the normal rifling found in other model Ballards.
More on this subject can be found in John Dutcher’s excellent book on the Ballard.

Rigby-Style flats on American rifles were found on the Sharps 1877 long range and both Remington Hepburn and rolling blocks.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cole obviously thought highly of Rigby Flats, he put one on the top of the barrel one on each side and possibly one underneath... I must admit I don't see any advantage to having them at all. Does anyone know the theory behind them?

I read an opinion, I believe in Mr. Dutcher's book, that the reason for Rigby flats was to give rich folk something extra to spend money on. If there is a reason beyond cosmetics, I fail to see it.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Glenn Fewless
I read an opinion, I believe in Mr. Dutcher's book, that the reason for Rigby flats was to give rich folk something extra to spend money on. If there is a reason beyond cosmetics, I fail to see it.Glenn [/quote]

Hello Glenn,

I agree, it has to be cosmetic, a bit like the 'Go Faster stripes' on some cars. They don't work either. lol.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 11/10/06 10:35 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the input, I learned a lot even thought I did a lot of the talking; it’s always fun to share with like minded travelers who know how to travel in the past.

If any questions still linger my hats off to you (literally), pay attention that was a clue.

We will have to do this again sometime, might even be about shotguns.

>>>>My Hat<<<<

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey! That's the hat the old woman in the door was wearing!!!!

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree about the hat Glenn. This has been one of the most iteresting threads I've seen on any of the 'gun boards' in a very long time. Only one question remains. Did Brent get his Deer with his Sharps Rifle? lol.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only one question remains. Did Brent get his Deer with his Sharps Rifle? lol.

Harry

Yes, he did. With only 15 minutes of light left on the last day.

Not a monster, but I'm pretty happy with him and the work I had to do to take him.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 38-55 Ballard Rigby has totally different rifling than other Ballard Models. It appears to be English style with narrow lands and wide grooves. I think I read in an article that Rigby furnished these barrels.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have learned never to say never, however I know of no Marlin-Ballard rifle with a factory installed barrel by Rigby. The “Rigby” marked barrels I have seen are the Ballards with Ballard barrels Rigby imported and sold.

The Marlin-Ballard rifling was six narrow lands and wide grooves, right hand twist.
If the rifling in your barrel is different than that I would suggest without having more information that if your barrel is serial numbered to the rifle then it’s a rebore. If the barrel is not serial numbered then it’s a rebarrel.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.