May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Argo44), 601 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,054
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
OP Offline

Some of those darn ACGG bench types. . . .
Barry Lee Hands, David Trevallion, Monte Mandarino and Michael Petrov at the Guild show 2008.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Barry Lee Hands
I quote the Cooper catalogs reference to Jeff Spicer "Having learned his craft under such renowned teachers as Barry Lee Hands- Jeff honed his skills with Ithaca classic doubles"

I wondered where Jeff Spicer ended up after ICD. They had a Spicer engraved gun that was just beautiful. I was about to pull the trigger on ordering one done by him, when the company closed. I searched the net for a year or so trying to find out where he landed. Cooper got a good one in him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Such self-promotion Mr. Barry!
No wonder, I like those never-been-on-the-bench-lately originals so much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry, Thanks for the eye candy! Art like this is why I log on !! R Rambler

The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.
-John Muir

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is CC demonstrating some of his trick shooring skills....I like your website Barry.
Did you have to let your assisrant go ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry, thanks for the posts. The artisans featured here, including yourself, are among the elite of two generations. Not only that, they are good personable humans who will come down from Olympus and associate with us, the unwashed.

Features of custom work that please one customer might not be the choice of another. That's precisely why it's custom.

Would that I could order Mr. Fisher's next project!

Curl

CptCurl #103341 07/19/08 08:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I asked Mr. Fisher for a price list back in 1966 when I was stationed in Vietnam and really starting to get interested in guns and custom stocks. He sent me the list and I could have had him stock my .338 Model 70 for under $300 at that time.I know it sounds cheap but at that time I was clearing about $160 a month with my combat pay,so it was a considerable amount of money for me.I did not have him do it and have regretted it ever since as I have watched his reputation and skill grow over the years.
I know his prices seem unseemly to some but you are buying the work of a master at the peak of his skill.I know you can buy an approximation of a "name" maker gun for considerably less but many want the real thing and since their output is very limited they can charge more because people are willing to pay it.We pay car mechanics 40-75 dollars an hour to work on our vehicles so I cannot really see us expecting a master artisan to take less for his hard earned skill.There are people who can paint you a very good copy of the Mona Lisa for about 5 grand or so,good enough to satisfy your longing for that image on your wall but I don't think that means the original is over valued.Same with a lot of other "name" items,there are people skilled enough to make a copy but the original maker just about always gets more money.JMHO

RHD45 #103363 07/19/08 11:56 AM
OP Offline

Yes, thanks guys, Norm, Lowell ( if I dont promote myself , who will?)Highstrap and Joe, I am glad you like the website, and yes the assistant has been let go, hopefully I will get another through the student work program.
I think CC was checking the cast of the toe, hehe, youll have to ask him.
Curl thanks for your support, I am grateful as always.
Rhd, thats an interesting story, Jerry was in my studio this morning, I forgot to ask him if he remembers sending anything to Vietnam, but I will ask him next time I see him.
Heres another pic of a gun I engraved for Jerry a while back. . . .

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 07/19/08 11:58 AM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry,

Thanks for posting this. It is a pleasure to see a master's work. I have had 1 truly custom rifle done. I know you only get what you pay. In this case, a master is worth the price.

Pete

PeteM #103386 07/19/08 03:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The English can build shotguns but it takes an American to build a rifle like that.

Ps...Barry I bet you hated to let the girl in the mini-skirt go.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.