May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Perry M. Kissam, Marks_21, 1574trap, Nitrah, Bret Adams, 1 invisible), 502 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

CptCurl,
That is one delicious A.H. rifle. How about posting more pictures of the complete gun...they would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Darkness of Curl's stock pic aside, you make a good point. You don't see big bold mineral lines in most of the old Fox stocks. I wonder if it was a taste thing of that era or the wood wasn't sourced from CA or other places with such figure? The darkness of most of the wood of that era(not necessarily Curl's) I attribute to stain, oil, dirt and darkened finish on many older guns we see (mine has a crystal clear finish with no color or stains.) We often see some restorations here that bear this out when finishes are removed and oil leached out. But even after all that, my experience has been that not all of the surface darkening is completely cleared.

I wonder if the more subtle mineral figure is a carryover from the Best guns of London of that era? It seems to me that London guns didn't start using the really heavily mineral line wood until lately?

Possibly, Researcher has some info on the wood sourcing.

Last edited by Chuck H; 07/18/08 12:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Understated opulence - vs - the hey look at me wood.
The old London gunmakers understood the art of wood and metal.
One didn't out do the other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I don't ever recall seeing a gun with too nice wood on it. However, I have run across many a 60's 70's nouveau-esk overstyled stocks like the one below. For some reason this styling with hugely flared gripcaps and butts with overly curved rollover cheekrests was the rage. Hideous looking to me.

Chuck, That is an "Anton" stock. His distinguishing marks were the exaggerated rollover comb and the rosewood inlaid grip cap. They are somewhat of a collector item since Anton is now gone.

I sort of inherited one of these in a left hand stock on a Perazzi I bought that had belonged to a dear and deceased left handed friend. I got the gun from the simple estate. He died with little and no real family. The stock shoots very well on a trap gun. In fact, I have become quite fond of it. Mine has pretty fancy claro which I have seen on other Antons. But, you sure would not want it on a classic double or any such gun. Regards, Craig

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Your comment illustrates one of the attractions of antique doubles. Where could one find a blank like the one on my Henry, and what would it cost in today's dollars?

BTW the Henry was proofed pre-1887.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curl,
Finding a particular style of figure and color for someone is like trying to buy your wife a dress. You need to do the legwork (keyboard and mousework these days) yourself as nobody else can put their finger on it.

Search for Turkish, French, English gunstock blanks. The usual suspects are Hunterbid.com, Dressels, Luxus, Denli, Oldtreeblanks.com, Cecil Fredi, etc.

I know there are some that will disagree here, but I bet your stock is naturally much much lighter colored, . There is definitely oil that has darkened, probably alkanet root stain, and some dirt, on the wood. My point is, just keep that in mind when looking at woodblanks. Look for structural alignment of grain in critical areas, figure of your taste, then color last.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of stocks I have seen that look nice but out of place on a shooting gun were a couple of Winchester L/A's with Ivory stocks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curl, Would you say this looks like that on your double?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or the wood on this one?

Or this one?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Fox had a nice balance in wood used, from left to right A,B,C,X grades.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.