April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, CJ Dawe, eeb), 1,177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gee Joe, among American guns the Fox has curves that blend in with plate concept perfectly. This guy has eye for aesthetic beauty, and a fine sense of "visual balance". It's more than great worksmanship, becuase here in his work one sees true art form.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did Michael Angelo paint bill boards ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

j0e, you must remember there are Brummie billboards too!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sir, perhaps you can elaborate on why a Sterlingworth equates to a "billboard" while a graded gun would be a "canvas" as a starting point for a completely custom gun?
The differences between them are superficial, aside from the forend latch. As this gun sits right now, there is no way to tell whether it was a Sterlingworth or an F grade when it started life. I realise that you may not like this particular piece, and that's cool but to imply that a Sterlingworth is somehow materially inferior to a graded gun is simply incorrect as far as the facts are concerned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Simply amazing, way to go!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Billboard--- NO, canvas --- YES. The workmanship in this piece is as fine as you'll find on any bespoken gun ( I speak only of what Dewey did). I would think anyone who appreciated the ultimate in find hand work would appreciate Dewey's labors. Goodness only knows how many hours were spent in it's creation. I for one would love to own it as I'm sure many others feel the same. Way to go Dewey, when are you going to creat another piece ? Perhaps a LC Smith or Parker ? FWIW & IMHO Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

A man of his talent should be working from the ground up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey-and others herein who appreciate the fine Fox shotguns. Saw an 12 ga. "Pin hinge" 12 bore Sterlingworth- 30" barrels DT EXT- stock and barrels uncut-"dime" test indicates M&F chokes-area gun shop- went in because a friend told me they had a 3" Mag. M12 FOR SALE- and wanted to "check it out". I recall Phil B. (F&S Shotgun Editor) writing about buying a Sterlingworth 12 from Scheel's in Iowa- around $1800-and then had it "re-worked" and "refinished"- and had fotos- nice, but a Volkswagen compared to the "Porche" quality of your work-in-progress Dewey- Gun is on a consignment-belonged to area retired "Statie" who said he bought it from Cabela's a few years ago- he told me he'd take $1500-are the early "pin" Sterlingworth's worth more than the later Phila. Fox guns in the same grade? The checkering and fit/finish on my 1927 (Roe Clark letter) HE 12 seem to my untutored eyes to be between a Sterlingworth and the A grade- found out on another thread on this BBS that some HE Foxes were made on the std. frame and with No. 1 or 2 wt. barrels- mine are 4 wt. 32" with 3" chambers and the "Barrels Not Guaranteed" stamp- also another gentleman said that the Fopx HE 20 gauges (very scarce I am told) were mainly CE grades- 30" barrels and 3" chambers perhaps? Anyway, if anyone is interested in this Fox-or the M12 (minty- and no "dog's leg slide arm" I'll be happy to give you the phone number-dealer is well established, and does get some nice guns- passed up a M71 Win. .348 that he had in about a year ago-hindsight being 20/20 and all!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you may have misunderstood the comment about "Most HE 20s are CE Grade". Also, I would think that a #4 weight 32" HE Fox with 3" chambers would be very rare or unique. Do you have a letter on that gun or would you post the serial number for research? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I can find it- I did get a letter from Roe Clark-he could only identify it from the measurements as to wall thickness-etc-the barrel weight stamp is faint- but looks like a 4-gun weighs 9 and 1/4 lbs. with 32 inch Chromox Steel barrels-I bought it about 15 years ago from a pawn shop in hastings MI- before the NICS and other paperworked deals-may have been a stolen gun- as the serial numbers had been ground off- and the trigger guard was a replacement- the original PG stock was "re-worked" into a Prince of Wales style (apparently by a platoon of beavers on a hot wine drunk) and a Fox-Savage 311 BE guard (my guess only) was re-hammered to fit- the original forearm may have been a splinter- as when you remove the "non-original" beavertail, you can see the blueing wear on the barrels in that area- the beavertail is not checkered, was cut by someone who used to use an axe to carve Eastern Shore duck decoys near Crisfield MD maybe-and never learned to use a rasp or draw file- finished with a Tru-Oil that wasn't true-and the stock had been cut off to a LOP originally at about 13 1/2" to a crappy Sunburst pad- fortunately, they followed the pitch line when they "bandsawed" it- and I have seen Sterlingworths with better wood grain and checkering- but the condition- and the dealer's not knowing that the stamps "Barrels Not Guaranteed" meant pattern %- not proof against rupturing- helped me "knock down the price" from $800 (plus 4% State sales tax) to $650 Out The Door- so it is not a pristine HE-but I spliced on a walnut extension and fitted a Pachmayr Olde English solid pad, refinished the buttstock and recut the 18 lpi checkering, and redressed, and refinished the forearm- but didn't attempt to checker it- I can do a "re-cut" of existing checkering-but am not a checkering expert- sent the gun to Jack Rowe in Enid OK-he stripped and cleaned the action and re-choked the almost 11 gauge barrels for steel shot-another friend with a much better HE- believe the serial number of his nice old "duck dumper" is in the 31600 range- I can faintly make out what looks like 31088 or 31033- not sure- on the forearm iron- where the grinder left some traces-I never saw the original splinter forearm, which would have had the serial number on it-I find the letter in my "odds and ends" I'll post it here-heard Mr. Clark passed on-is that correct- Some day- if I win the "big One" I'll ask Dewey VickNair to refinsih and restock this old war horse for me-like to have a $5 for every mallard and Canada it has dropped- RWTF..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.