March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Boxlock
Boxlock

Just a quick lunchtime update. A lot has happened since I last posted.

Roy continues to make incremental progress, small steps. He uses a lot more words now, but the apraxia causes the wrong ones to come out or puts them in the wrong order, making communication difficult. Communication is our number one priority right now!

Roy's son & his family visited over the 4th. I took Aunt Janet (AJ) over to the rehab center to meet them there and we all watched the parade. Good fun and the grandkids kept everyone entertained.

Roy's brother (my dad) came up from Florida the following week and we rented a wheelchair van and took him for his first jaunt away from the nursing home. We went to a local park, watched some kids swimming and fishing, and a dog splashing around. He drank in the fresh air and trees and open sky. It was a good ride. We stopped at a local Italian deli for some ice cream and gelato. A short but refreshing outing back to the world.

He had a brace fitted for his bad leg, so he can do more walking therapies. We've seen him start to use that leg and are encouraged that it will eventually be able to support enough weight so that we can take him on some outings that don't require renting the special van.

Jan and daughters and local friends have been frequent visitors, keeping his spirits up and taking him for walks and keeping him up-to-date on everything. His sisters-in-law came to visit last weekend and made sure he was fed well and often!

He has read this board many times and we are working on ways to enable him to communicate. Therapy is a long road. Being a family of techno-geeks and engineers, we are hoping technology and some ingenuity, insight, and inspiration will help us find or build the right tools to assist him. We've made a tentative start with an on-screen, mouse-driven keyboard, but we're still a long way from composing sentences.

This is also where you can help. In your vast experience, as tinkerers, nerds, and as caregivers yourselves, if you have seen any assistive technology, or heard of a program that works, or know how to make a home more accessible, or know how to retrofit a GMC Trailblazer that can make it handicap friendly-- email me or post it here. No idea is too small. Anything at all is welcome.

All for now,

Brad

OxO
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brad-
Thank you for the update on Roy's recovery..It is encouraging to know that Roy is steadily progressing and that he also is checking this site.... We miss his inputs..
I have very little experience with what technology is out there to aid Roy as he recovers, but I'm sure there are many on this board that does...
Please continue to give us updates on Roy until he can do it himself...God Bless You all....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only thoughts come from work with MS patients and with Bill Wise: What seems to help are the large track-ball type mouse set ups and big key boards. I read something about a keyboard created by lights projected on a table. No idea if still available though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brad, I can't offer any suggestions just my thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery, but any updates on how Roy is progressing???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy you are still missed here and I know many have prayed for you.You sir are to damm young to give up so keep the good fight going for yourself and your family.Sure I myself miss the auction reports and your Nitro Special knowledge but its not near the love your family has for you and their desire to have you back.I believe between family God and self will you have the power to be home pestering folks by time the ducks fly. God Bless

Not a lot to report yet as far as new progress. He moves his bad leg a little more and I've finally seen him control some movement in his arm with a lot of effort.

Progress in speech has slowed and that is a little disconcerting for him. So he has his good days and bad days.

But, I'm happy to report that yesterday was a good day, because we had the PTs teach us how to do a vehicle transfer so we don't need to rent a special wheelchair van to take him out.

For those who know Wisconsin, we took him to some of the local public hunting areas near Footville and Orfordville to help us who were normally passengers (and who didn't pay close enough attention) get familiar with the area. He directed our travels by pointing his index finger and we did find at least one of our old pheasnt hunting spots on leased farmland. He had a great time getting out in the country, driving with the windows open on a gorgeous summer day. Made all that Physical Terrorism, I mean physical therapy worth it!

We're looking into some touch screen laptops and software that may help with communication. It is difficult because all of us are at scattered distances throughout the state, so long visits require planning and long drives.

We are coming up on our normal Labor Day bass fishing adventure over which he presided as the Top Chef, and in which he is the hall of fame for catching the most 20+" smallmouth bass. We're in the planning stages of arranging a cookout with fish on the grill... and perhaps, if we're lucky... permission to take him to the Wisconsin River with the Grandkids to at least be part of the experience. There are a lot of logistics involved with transferring him to a respite facility near the river, so those details are being investigated. I hope we can pull it off. But if not this year, next year for sure.

BTW He learned the grilling technique from some folks in the Dakotas, (perhaps on this board?) when they were walleye fishing there. I handed over the chef's hat ever since he learned the secret of butter, foil, beau monde, lemon pepper and lawry's seasoned salt!

You all may remember him posting a picture from the newspaper of him and his granddaughter with some rather large smallies. It is quite an event and means a lot to him and to us.

That's the update for now. I'm off to investigate the YMCA aquatic center and see what it would take to get him some aqua- or hydro- therapy, because he used to love swimming so much.

Thanks for all the wishes and I'll keep you updated.

Brad

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy/Brad,
Thanks for the update. I sure you can get Roy out fishing, I know he looked forward to it with the grandkids. I think he enjoyed that more than being with the gang in Las Vegas! I sure do miss Roy's reports. I'm glad to see there is improvements, a slow process, but well on the way to recovery. You'll be up and running before you know it.
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy/Brad-
Thanks for the update...We're all waiting patiently for Roy's return to the board...-Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good news is always welcome. Keep us posted. Sounds as though Roy has a good support staff there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We hope to hear from Roy, soon. Our prayers are still going out to him for a speedy recovery.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.