May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (KDGJ, Gunning Bird, Borderbill, Lloyd3, Marks_21, LGF), 410 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,430
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's another gaudy one to gawk at, this from an 1850's Deane Adam & Deane.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sharpsrifle
CptCurl,
That is one delicious A.H. rifle. How about posting more pictures of the complete gun...they would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Sharpsrifle,

Thanks for your comments. Here is an array of photos of the A. Henry:

A. Henry .577 2 3/4" BPE

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Curl, Would you say this looks like that on your double?

SDH-MT,

That's a whale of a nice piece of wood, and I am sure the workmanship impeccable!

Yours has some fiddleback, which the A. Henry does not have. I think the Henry has more marblecake figure. But how can I answer that question? You are the expert. I am the student.

Best,
Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Curl,
Finding a particular style of figure and color for someone is like trying to buy your wife a dress. You need to do the legwork (keyboard and mousework these days) yourself as nobody else can put their finger on it.

Search for Turkish, French, English gunstock blanks. The usual suspects are Hunterbid.com, Dressels, Luxus, Denli, Oldtreeblanks.com, Cecil Fredi, etc.

I know there are some that will disagree here, but I bet your stock is naturally much much lighter colored, . There is definitely oil that has darkened, probably alkanet root stain, and some dirt, on the wood. My point is, just keep that in mind when looking at woodblanks. Look for structural alignment of grain in critical areas, figure of your taste, then color last.

Chuck H,

I agree entirely with your comment about color.

To my eye an antique like my Henry looks odd when totally refinished and the wood cleaned, lightened, and finished with a clear oil or varnish.

Yet I wonder what this rifle looked like the day it was delivered. I feel sure it had some red stain. I would also imagine its finish was somewhat lighter and more clear.

So in the end, when we shy away from an antique with brightly refinished wood are we shying away from the original presentation of the gun? Ironic?

Just some thoughts. Comments of others would be interesting.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curl,
To my eye, I think a 'gray gun' looks odd with the wood stipped, and leached of aged colors. On the other hand, refinished metals with old finish wood still looks o.k. to me. But, a new or freshly refinish stock should get refinished metal to match, to my taste anyway. I recently had to make that call on a Fox that I was having restocked. The craftsman doing the work said he'd recommend refinishing the metal at the same time. I agreed and it came out nice. The picture of that gun is the one I posted in this thread earlier.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend who right now is buying a vintage pinfire Purdey double rifle. The stock has been stripped, with new finish applied. The metal is not refinished. The question is, what can he do to put finish on the wood to make it look old again? Hopefully somebody will be able to help him. CC, you listening????

Curl

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.