May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (KDGJ, Jusanothajoe, mark, steve f, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 1,007 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,835
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year, I sold a Remington 700 classic in 8mm Mauser on gunbroker. I sent it UPS. When the buyer received the gun, the box was already cut open. The bolt, paperwork, and j-lock keys were missing.

They sent me the rifle back and I refunded the gentleman's money.

I have no idea what happened but UPS was very easy to work with. I had my check in about a month. I then broke the gun down to sell for parts. I sold the stock but I still got everything else, including the barreled action and trigger. I guess I will sell it on Gunbroker.

I have sold over 20 guns on Gunbroker and I have always shipped through UPS. This was the first time I had any trouble but I was able to get my insurance money with no problem.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS registered mail is the only way to go, as mentioned above it's signed for every step and if it goes missing they know where.
Also, since Registered Mail is so well documented the insurance fee is lower than regular mail or UPS, usually enough that it's cheaper to go Registered than UPS.

And you should really take the time to read the UPS Tariff/Terms and conditons of Service.

How do statements like

"In the event of loss of or damage to any part of property (including any part of a machine) which, when complete for sale or use, consists of several parts, UPS shall be liable only for the value of the part lost or damaged, not to exceed the declared value of the part lost or damaged. In no event shall UPS be liable for the value of the complete item."

figure into damaged barrel sets?

What about
"UPS shall not be liable or responsible for:
a. loss or damage to articles of unusual value (as defined in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service)"?

"F. Definition of Articles of Unusual Value Which Are Not Accepted By UPS For
Transportation
1. Shippers are prohibited from shipping articles of unusual value via UPS.
Articles of unusual value shall be deemed to include, but are not limited to:
a. Any package with an actual value of more than $50,000;
b. Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, negotiable instruments
(such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, but excluding
checks), and money orders;
c. Unset precious stones, and industrial diamonds;
d. Any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold or
platinum, or any combination thereof in raw form, including, but not
limited to, bullion, bars or scraps of these metals.
2. UPS will not be liable for any loss of or damage to articles of unusual value.
UPS reserves the right, but is not required, to return to the shipper any package containing an article of unusual value. Such return will be made solely at the shipper’s risk and expense.

I can see a claim for a $10K, 100 year old gun being denied because it of "Unusual Value".

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't shipped anything in value over $12k but when it gets over 5K or so I start paying attention to who the shipper is. I double box and wrap with bubble wrap and ship USPS Registered. I may or may not insure for full value. (Try to get the Post Office to reimburse for damage to a 100+ year old gun they think is junk.) They all employ the proverbial gorilla who gets an extra watermellon if they destroy a package but with the double box it would take running over the box with an 18-wheeler to damage the gun. (I'm sure the gorilla is learning how to do that too.)

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS. From persoanl experience FEDEX will not pay more than 1000 for any damage on agun. No matter what you insure it for. Have your own ins policy through one of the collectors insurance cos and all of your guns are covered, whether you are hunting with it or shipping it etc.
USPS is excellent.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the cheapest way for an individual to ship insured a $25,000 gun is by the US Postal Service. Most of the dealer's have a business policy that covers there lost shipments as they don't seem to like USPS. Somewhat of a pain to package to USPS's specs but once you learn the drill it is no problem.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/16/08 05:56 PM.

I am glad to be here.
DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth a retired jeweler acquaintence of mine, who is still making custom jewelry at 78 years old in his garage, told me that USPS Registered Mail is the only way he ships his expensive items (like $25+K rings, etc).

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I don't understand Gil Russell's post. He ships by USPS Registered but they don't pay insurance claims. He may or may not insure it for full value?? Why would he insure it if they don't pay? Maybe I'm missing something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Murph: That wasn't very clear. I insure for full value if I make that committment to the buyer. Otherwise, I hope that my great packaging job (with minimal insurance) will suffice. At the end of the day, self insurance is that willingness to accept the loss, partial vis a vis damage to the item or "lost"--but I don't know if they totally lose packages. Somehow I think that stamp that sez "Insured" on the front of the box (and sending it "Registered") will get everyone's attention who handles it and that they will handle it with at least minimal respect.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most high value firearms dealers are self insured and ship UPS. I suspect it's simply a a matter of UPS pick up versas USPS going to a Post Office.
That said, my one experience shipping UPS resulted in the case enclosing a Pigeon Grade Superposed Superlight being splintered on one interior corner near the trigger guard dispite the reciever being nicely wrapped in bubble pack. Trigger guard on Superposed was OK. Lesson, don't use UPS and don't ship within a case, use standard heavy duty box and wrap very well in bubble pack. I use USPS Registered for high value and have had perfect success.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ship guns on a very regular basis via UPS. I also get guns
via UPS from individuals, the biggest majority of them are poorly wrapped or packaged. I can see why there are many negative about UPS, its not UPS, it how people are packing their guns.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.