May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (jake van dyke, Jimmy W, old colonel, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,441
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
Sidelock
Sidelock

"The deal was done out of Gunbroker and maybe that will teach the buyer to buy the item on the auction site and not to make a "deal" afterwards."

I do think that is the real problem,if a seller is inclined to cut G/B out of a sale you really should not be surprised that he will not treat you the same if the situation presents itself.Better off not "going off the reservation" and having both the protection of feedback and a honest seller.

Last edited by Dave K; 08/16/08 09:22 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: NTaxiarchis

It looks to me like Mr. 22eley may have decided to go with a 26" gun until this one came along and then wanted out of the deal. Just a thought.

Nick

the time frame of the 2 auctions and the interval between the close of one and the beginning of the certainly do nothing to dispell this notion. buyers remorse because one found something he likes more is not a valid reason for return no matter what the stated conditions were.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never knew that the 3 day inspection covered buyers remorse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Katt
I never knew that the 3 day inspection covered buyers remorse.

I never thought of buyer remorse as a reason to send a gun or wife back. Might want to see if a wife could be returned. Three days return period, if the gun was not as described or if some un-noticed flaw was detected. I have bought many guns over the net and only expect the right to return if a major flaw or major problem is found. Slight difference of conditions or minor warts are to be expected.

The barrels did not shrink, so if the buyer decided after the fact that they were too short he should have made certain that he had the right to send them back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Homeless Joe. There is nothing ambiguous about it at all. A three day inspection period is just that, three days within which you have a right of recession. This means, three days and you can call the deal off and, as stated, pay shipping for both ways.

Unless the inspection period has other clauses or caveats...its just what it says, three days to decide if you want the gun or not.

I also note, that especially in the beginning, the seller's friends seemed to pipe up rather strongly. Based on the facts, or just that this fella was their friend. One went so far as criticising the buyer's writing ability. Certainly on the mark as to the issue at hand.

Sorry, don't know Jim...but if he says 3 day inspection and does not honor it for any reason I choose, then I don't want to buy a gun from him.

Cheers

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a tough one. I believe one must look at what the word "inspection" means. Without consulting Webster, I would think it means loosely "to verify compliance with a set of specifications". I know that as a quality control inspector several years ago, if a vendor's product met the specifications furnished by us (dimensions, materials, finish, etc.) then whether or not we got a warm anf fuzzy feeling about the item was immaterial. After all, we were the ones who designed it and specified how it was to be made. Maybe for the purpose of internet gun buying we should call it a 3 day familiarization period. Bill Frech

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Baron23
A three day inspection period is just that, three days within which you have a right of recession. This means, three days and you can call the deal off and, as stated, pay shipping for both ways.

Huh ?????

I think you are confusing three day inspection with a three day "no questions asked satisfaction guarantee policy."

"Inspection" is the key IMHO. If he'd said "3 day trial", maybe there'd be a case. But "inspection", as noted above, implies comparison to a standard (in this case, the ad's description), rather than "do you like it or not".

When a seller has to take a gun off the market for a week (potentially passing up other selling opportunities) and goes through the hassles of packing and shipping, he doesn't expect to see the gun back unless there was a hidden flaw in it. The buyer has a responsibility to know what he's looking for, and not "discovering" that he doesn't want what he's agreed to buy.

I'm with Jim Legg on this one.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I worked for LL Bean we had a guy rturn a Remington 11-48 eleven years after he bought it. He got a full refund. I thought that was kind of stupid on Bean's part on the one hand, and kind of cool on the other. However, most dealers aren't multi-million dollar corporations, and cannot afford to be shipping guns hither and yon at the whim of buyers. There is a time element involved that the seller isn't being compensated for. I would have a problem with jumping through hoops simply because I gave a customer what they asked for.

fnb25, My comment on 311's was tongue in cheek. I appreciate them for what they are, which are all the things you stated.

Nick

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, when I sell a gun I give a 3 day insp. That means if the buyer doesn’t like it, doesn’t think its as described etc. he can return. I always just want to know why. I have missed some very minor things that were the reason they wanted to send it back such as " I hear a piece of solder go down between the ribs when I tip[ the barrels down" or It doesn’t have an automatic safety (none described, never asked) . I took them back and of course the one buyer went through his credit card company and got his shipping back even though my auction specified no refund on shipping unless my error. CC company sided with him even though i provided copy of auction that showed terms.
Anyway, I still gave him his money back.
That said, it irks me when a buyer asks questions, gets the answers he wants, buys the gun , gets it and then calls and says something like " you didn’t say it had quarter sawn wood instead of slab sawn wood. or some other inane reason to not want it. Photos of course show these things but ...
Guy buys a Browning BAR . Auction says butt stock replaced with later one IN CAPITAL LETTERS. . photos clearly show contrast. Buyer wins it, gets it and emails back how he ever would have bought a gun with replacement stock and he was sending it back. I call him. he says same again. I politely point out that the auction stated that it was replacement. he says " I don’t read the details. I am a collector. My issue was preserving my rating and I didn’t want this guy to imply, say or anything that I lied about anything.
He then said, oh gee, I didn’t see that. I won’t give you bad feedback. He sent it back and all as good.
It works both ways. There are the sellers form hell and the buyers from hell.
My way is take it back. One guys rant is not worth 30 buck.
But that’s why the buyer needs to clarify.
Of course the ultimate return fiasco were two guns I bought from a "dealer" (guy who dabbles some, Not Jim). First Gun arrives with crack through wrist. I call him. I said I am sending back, don’t want it. I didn’t buy a gun with a cracked stock. He says no. I say yes. He says he will refuse. I say I want money back. He says no, I acted as your agent. He says he saw the gun, called me and only bought it because I wanted it!!! Then says he doesn’t have the money to refund. (I check on Gunbroker and see he has bought three guns worth over 12,000.00 since I first called and told him I wanted refund that he said he didn’t have. Hmmm, no money to refund but can buy 12K of guns???? Then says he will pay for repairs. Then says he won’t. I go through nut roll. I cut my losses. Says no 3 day on this one because it wasn’t his. Never said he was acting as intermediary, he says that was implied. Every other gun I ever bought form him had 3 day. Anyway, I got a % back, that’s all I was going to get. Then on second gun in deal, the barrels looks cut when I opened box. I called that minute I opened it and said it wasn’t original even though when he sold it to me he said it was. He said he had the letter coming and would I keep it if it lettered. I said yes. He said if it was cut he would refund me the money. The letter comes, it’s not original. I tell him I am sending back,. He says no. I have the emails. After 6 months he finally gives me money back. I have all the emails of this.

Last edited by Brian; 08/16/08 12:09 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.