May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
13 members (doublenut, Buzz, eightbore, 4 invisible), 538 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,445
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

None of us here know exactly what was discussed between the two parties during all those conversations, for all we know the barrel lenght could have been mentioned several times or not at all. The specifics of the inspection period might have been discussed or not at all as well.

In every area regarding purchaser and seller the word inspection is undertood by all, to insure the item is as described and there are no undisclosed serious deviations. Do we now have to identify for everyone's protection not only what inspection period means, but the definition of buyer, refund, shipping, gauge, forearm, drop at heel, etc.

I recently purchased several guns over the course of a year from a big gun dealer on the net that were listed as new 99% demos, all were by the same maker. All were better than expected, and the last one was very dirty and used extensively. I sent him an email about it and he never replied to me. But from the beginning I never asked him for his personal definition of demo, so I chose not to pursue it. And I would never bad mouth him and broadcast it on any site. If some one asked me about him Ionly then would I relate my personal experiences, both good and bad.

If I bought a single trigger gun, received it, and decided I really wanted a double trigger instead, I would never try to return it without offering the seller reasonable compensation for his trouble. And if he simply said no to me, that's O.K., it was my fault not his.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Katt
I feel this is the whole problem with the right to return on 3 day inspection. I always took it to mean you could return it, if it was not as described. It was as described. I never accepted the idea, that someone had the chance to decide that they really didn't want to buy it after all or wished they had bought another gun. To me, this whole idea of returning it on the basis of "changed mind", is not fair to the whole system. The seller wasted effort in marketing the gun, other buyers lost their chance to buy it, the buyer got exactly what he bargained for. What is the problem? In my opinion, if you don't want to spend the money for a gun you bid on, you shouldn't be in the bidding. Maybe the terminolgy of 3 day inspection needs to be changed. My perception always meant to accept the condition as represented, not as a change of desire to own.

I guess the gulf between those that think the buyer has the right to return this gun for whatever reason or only the right to return it if there is an undisclosed flaw remains open and unlikely to close.
To me if the ad doesn't say something like "Unconditional Return" then return privileges are in fact restricted to flaws only.
Hopefully we have all learned an important lesson here.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

DRM, barrel length was in the ad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel length was in the ad, but, still the gun should be able to be returned. Eley should have said, I don't like the BALANCE, instead of I don't like the 26 inch barrels. Somehow saying I don't like 26" barrels when the ad states the gun has 26" barrels somehow makes Mr. Legg feel justified. Where that is not what the fella was relly talking about. And really, even if eley just changes his mind (which is a chump, pain in the butt, if you are on the other end) that is just the way it should be. If you offer an inspection, you should honor it.

I think why myself and alot of other people have a hard time with this is because there are sellers that are less than honest in their descriptions and leave out specific details and this is why liberal 3 day inspections are necessary in order to do good business on the internet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm afraid if there was a pOle taken Mr. Jim would be left standing on one Legg.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I don't think anyone spells as badly as that buyer when sober. I think he was in the tank when he wrote the post. He was probably in the tank when he spoke to Legg and Legg wanted no more to do with him. That guy would have scared me, too. What was the chance that the gun would have come back undamaged and the whole debate would have been over with? Not much chance of that, in my opinion. Legg took the easy way out, probably the right decision. Care to comment, Jim?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're not insinuating that Mr.Legg would take advantage of a guy that had been drinking are you ?

Maybe the guy was drinking when he bought the Uggie. (I know I'd have to be pretty inebriated to buy one).

That sheds a whole new light on this unfortunate situation....wonder if Mr. Legg is aware of the penalties of selling a gun to a man that had been drinking ?

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe it's time for eley to comment as to why he believes an inspection period normally includes buyer's remorse as a valid reason to return a firearm that meets specifications and descriptions, especially when it required all that extra work delivering through FFL's. Will a gun store let you special order a gun they don't have on their shelf and have to purchase it themselves for you, just so you can handle it and then possibly simply say "I've changed my mind and I don't want it"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
I appreciate everyone's comments. Those in support of my position appear to be in the majority, thank you. Since HJ is at the top of my YAITU list, I have no idea what he said, and couldn't care less.

A few replies gave no clue as to what their opinion was.

I have bought and sold a lot of guns in the last several years. I have never returned one though some were better than described and others were not as good. I have accepted return of two guns in the past. Both smelled strongly to me that the buyer found a better deal while the package was in transit. Both were described honestly, as was this one . John and I had several phone conversations where we discussed every detail of the gun including why I was selling it.

The sale was made OFF the Gunbroker board and I gave him a very good price that included shipping and insurance. While we did not pick apart my offer of a 3-day inspection down to legal terms, it was my intention that it meant the gun would be as described, no hidden flaws or surprises. It was.

I knew John didn't like 26" barrels because we discussed that at length(no pun intended), on the phone. But he bought the gun anyway, knowing very well what the barrel length was. My refusal to accept a return for the stated reason that he "couldn't live with the 26" barrels" is justified, IMO. I can live with it.

My feedback rating on Gunbroker was not achieved by lying and/or cheating people. I'm sorry John is not happy but I will not change my mind on the subject.

This will be my last reply on this topic(I hope)

Thanks to all

I've quoted my last reply because some of the recent posters apparently did not even read it.

Here's some further information: The first contact I had with John (22eley) was an e-mail he sent to me while the gun was in an active auction. In it he told me how he could buy these guns for $500-700 in his part of the country. This was sent in the area where you "ask the seller a question". I politely suggested he should buy one of the $500 guns. I added that I would like buy a dozen Grade II guns like mine, at $700 each. I should have figured him for a flake and steered clear of him. Even though he preferred longer barrels, he was so enthusiastic about this one, knowing full well it was 26" that he even called Mike Orlen to discuss having choke tubes installed in it. We had several more phone conversations and finally agreed on a price. At this time there were no bids on my Gunbroker ad and I pulled it. In my last e-mail to him I included the phrase about 3 day inspection, never dreaming he would want to return it as the gun was like new and he knew every detail about it. If I ever sell another gun on the Internet, you can be sure my return policy will be thoroughly and clearly stated. I don't know what his real reason for wanting to return it but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the well-known 26" barrels. When he called me after receiving the gun to tell me he couldn't live with the 26" barrels I told him I would not accept a return for that reason. He got huffy and hung up on me. I'm sorry he's not happy and I'm sorry I even stuck the "3 day return" in my e-mail. But my decision stands.
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: jack maloney
[quote=Dick_dup1].Small scale dealers and one-time sellers on gun auctions can't afford such generosity.

I can and do

You got the wrong person!-Dick

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.