May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, ClapperZapper, SKB, battle, 2 invisible), 530 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must be slow to understand. The buyer knew all the things that was a reguirement to him that created his desire to purchase. Yet, he says he wants to send it back, even though it was as described. What is the problem with the gun? Nothing! What is the problem with the buyer? Buyer's remorse! Maybe a return in this case with a restocking fee. In a real estate transaction, there is an earnest money deposit, that is not returned if the buyer voluntarily wants out of the contract. Why do you think that is done? Think about it. Why would a seller want to not sell the property/item to the buyer who placed a contract on it? Why would the buyer want out of the sale if everything was disclosed to him and by his own admission it was as represented? We are all big boys and girls here. Enter into a contract and understand that a contract is just that. If there is an issue that can not be negotiated to the satisfaction of both parties, see an attorney.

I have sellers remorse on an SKB Royal, I sold about 4 years ago. Why can't I get it back? I will even pay shipping! Heck, I will be more than happy to give him what he payed for it. I entered into a contract to sell and I must now live with that consequence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW "you could return it, if it was not as described. It was as described"

The primary reason for the 3-day policy is that the sellers description frequently is different than the buyers description after the buyer has the gun in hand. To then debate between seller and buyer over what is in fact the truth is fruitless. A 3-day return policy does away with this problem and allows one to purchase and inspect and return the gun paying for shipping both ways.
I can unequivocally tell you that without that policy I would NEVER purchase a firearm I did not have in hand from anyone. If you as a seller want to perpetuate the way business was done 30 years ago with sellers routinely sending guns not up to thier description, than go ahead. The simple fact of the matter is that sellers of that era are not in business(some have mercifully past on) anymore for a reason.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not much care for the inital email which started this thing, but I am left equally uncomfortable with Mr. Legg's srict constructionist interpretation of his own return policy. I think he is technically correct in this dispute. And I would never order a gun from him.

I remember a drilling which I purchased from Thad Scott years ago. Gun looked as described and I was delighted to keep it. Nearly a month later, I finally made it to the range and fired it. I discovered a previous owner had bored out the chamber from the original 7x57R. Thad took it back no questions asked, and I have purchased two or three other doubles from him in the ensuing years and recomended him to numerous friends. Did he have to take it back? No, I suppose not. But he is a gentleman, and fully understands that in our small world of side x sides a reputation is everything.

Jim, I don't know how much business you generate off this forum, but even among those of us who believe you are technically correct in this instance, I wonder how many will now have second thoughts before placing their next order.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just another horror story from people who buy guns over the internet and/or have them shipped across the country. I don't feel sorry for anyone who does this. For years on this board people have been getting screwed buying guns over the internet without seeing them IN PERSON. I find it unbelieveable that people would do this. (It is hard enough to buy a gun at a show and not miss seeing something until after you get the gun home.) Then people have to ship them across the country in the hopes that some gun hater at UPS doesn't (and this has happened on this board) run over it with a towmotor, breaking it in half. So have fun in your continuing habit of doing this. All you people will get when you whine and cry about your loss from me is the comment- "BUCKET AND MOP TO AISLE FOUR!! BUCKET AND A MOP TO AISLE FOUR!! WE NEED TO HAVE SOME SLOBBER CLEANED UP!!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that most of us will always purchase guns over the internet. I have purchased several with no problems. If you live in a rural area you will never get a chance to see any guns that you might like. It is not feasable to fly across the country to look at a gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim.....take the gun back and refund the money. It's the right thing to do and, if you had done it to start with, you could have avoided nine or ten pages of debate on your honesty, integrity, morals, intelligence, attitudes and philosophy. Nobody needs that kind of stuff posted on the internet. There is more conjecture about you on this board than about McCain and Obama combined. JMHO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought a total of three guns over the internet; kept them all. I did negotiate the price on one of them after receipt due to a difference of opinion on condition; the seller agreed. The other two went off without a hitch. Frankly, it never occurred to me that "three day inspection period" meant anything other than just that: within the three days, I could return it for any reason, even if I just changed my mind. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way. Of course I was willing to pay shipping both way, and the FFL expense would be on me; that's my part of the risk involved. The risk to the seller is that I might return it, and he loses a sale.

One thing this thread has done for me: I'll be damned sure of the "conditions" of the return policy, should I ever do it again.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

i don't think either party here is strictly speaking at fault. i do think terms for return need to be very carefully spelled out and if they're not, then any reason at all qualifies (except finding something else one wants more in the meantime).

as to the buyer in this case, i've identified another for my blocked bidder list. from what jim describes, i'd have blocked this guy almost immediately. anybody takes that long to go ahead and buy something, esp after pulling that "i can get them here for $$blahblah" BS, has trouble written all over him. i've long since learned off ebay experience to head off a lot of trouble at the pass, just from the questions or the way they're asked.

and based on the other auction item pointed out, i'd say this is a pretty certain case of nothing but buyers remorse which isn't valid for return ever.

the tone of the buyers original post pretty much confirms him as someone to never do business with.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Jim is teaching us a lesson which sould have been common sense in the first place. When one buys ANYTGHING over the net previously unseen they better know exactly what they're buying. Mr. Legg can sleep well knowing he sold gun as described and 22Eley can get some satifaction from dwindling pool of future customers from Herr Legg. Mission accomplished!
PS. Gun world is full of tragic und painful encounters. Just look at "twice fired" RUMs, .416s, .458s,.....in used gun racks! It almost brings tears to ones' eyes simply looking at them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fnb25
this is a pretty certain case of nothing but buyers remorse which isn't valid for return ever.

But see, it IS. Unless it's specified otherwise, it's no different than any purchase one makes. It shouldn't make any difference if it's over the internet or at your local Home Depot: a return policy is a return policy, end of story. It's the SELLERS responsibility to limit the terms of the return, if there are any.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.