March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On another thread Chuck H wrote: "...summer reruns. Nothing for the hunters to do but stir the pot about nothing. Boredom, with pent up energy looking for an outlet. Whatever you call it, it's at its worst around here during the summer. " I started to reply to it there but decided to start a new thread instead.

Dove season starts soon. I have been getting my fat dogs back into shape by running them. Me too for that matter. Started scouting for the opening day spot for me and my buddies and family. Agonizing over which gun to take.

Talking to my Buds about their plans and what they have scouted. Started reloading - extra special loads of course. Got to get over to Riverfield's and get a license and look at the nice little used Perazzi 20 gauge that calls to me everytime I go in the store. Which reminds me I need to talk to their gunsmith about fixing a pad.

Need to get the hunting rig cleaned up and cleaned out a little. Is it time to have the oil changed? Wouldn't hurt to wash it once this year.

My fiberglass snake gators are cracking. Need to get out to Gander and pick up another pair or two. The birddog club is having snake avoidance training this weekend - have to get the two new pups in on that. And the other three retrained for that matter.

Got to call my Son and remind him to get his license. Might wash my game vest as it smells pretty gamey. Might as well drive out to WalMart and grab a half dozen cases of bottled water to get me through the season.

Lots of Eurasion dove showing up this year - no limit.

The stream of thought on this can go on and on and I am getting excited.

What are you guys doing to get ready?

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/18/08 07:37 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides the usual stuff, I've been busy trying to locate a good field notebook and some write-in-the-rain pencils....so when things get slow in the blind, I can get in on writing some of those inane responses that will get Jim Legg over the thirty page mark! Just incredible, and what a distinction!!

But seriously, just seeing the full-body dove decoys lying around next to my 16 ga. Model 12 for the week prior has always been a favorite here. Which might suggest that I need to get out more often, eh?

Wishing you a hot corner on the opener, Mike.

Robt.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We usually plant sunflowers on a little bit of bottom land here, but this spring was so wet nothing could be done until late May, which was too late for sunflowers to be ready for opening day. I did millet instead and have been cutting a little bit at a time for a couple weeks, but have seen few birds. Yesterday my middle son and I were walking the edge of the field and flushed a nice covey of bobwhites. That was better than seeing a field full of doves. For me waiting for dove season is like waiting for Christmas. I'm using the Parker D2 hammergun. Here's hoping everyone gets their limits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been loading 28 guage shells, got 3 2 lb coffee cans ready to go. Shot up my rejects this afternnon, did pretty well. We seem to have a LOT of doves this year, including a few of those funny ones. They, for some reason, seem to stick close to town, so may have to shoot a few in the Co-op yard. We always do a BBQ on the opener, sometimes 30-40 of the local farmers show, drink some beer, tell some lies. My old hunting partner comes over, he will be 82 this year. Gotta savor all the time he has left. Its a good time of the year....Prairie grouse in Nebraska open on the 13th, so am really looking forward to that. Mike you best get Joe Wood to help you sharpen up, so's you dont embarass yourself..

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm heading home to Southern Illinois for the opener. We're invited to shoot on a friend of my Father's farm, he actually manages the place for doves and holds an amazing amount of birds.

Got to call Grandpa and make sure he's coming along. He turned 90 this summer, when I talked to him on his (and my) birthday he said he was keen to go. He had his eyes worked on back in the spring and doesn't even need glasses now so I'm anxious to see his shooting improve.

As far as getting ready, I've got the dove stool out, gone over my cartridges. Need to wash the old short sleeve camo shirt and sew a hole up in my khaki shooting pants.

For a gun I think I'm going to take the family Stevens 311 this year. Grandpa has it's mate in 20 gauge (marked JC Higgins) so it only seems right to take them both out together.

Hopefully will be able to stay home an extra day and make a squirrel hunt with an old friend.

If I said any of this in another thread please excuse the repeat, I'm still recovering from a hang over.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a couple hundred 12 ga. black powder shells loaded...I guess I'm ready to smoke some doves.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I believe in staying relaxed before the games (been watching the Olympics) so I've been doing a lot of trout fishing and sleeping. Reloaded a bunch of shells a few months ago and don't want to shoot them and have to reload more so haven't been to the gun club much. Sure haven't developed a flinch while catching all those trout.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 14ga. SXS Ml'er is ready and so am I. Been doing the same as some of you folks. Scouting the area for the best fields and finding some that will be great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Down to one gun so that choice is easy. This will be the first time in three years that my mind is right to hunt again. Still have about five flats of AA Feather lites and I will just sit behind the barn in the shade.The doves watering on the other side of the barn get a free pass.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been walking a couple of miles every night since June and shooting two rounds of 5-stand every weekend this summer. Someone gave me a 1908 Ithaca Flues 12ga last Spring and I intend to shoot it opening weekend. I ordered a flat of RSTs this morning and I'm 'bout ready to go...Geo

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.