March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a sterlingworth that I am restocking. For the moment at least I just want to do a turbo-cleaning on the action and parts while I have it all apart. I am sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything significant. Apart from "scrub, kid" what would you use to clean inside/outside, any tips, etc? (There is a small amount of case color left if that makes any difference) Anything else I should do while I'm at it?
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Furman; 08/20/08 12:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An ultrasonic cleaning is the best way but expensive.

I've boiled them in water and TSP, rinsed in hot water, blown dry and soaked in oil afterwords. Has worked well for me.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Robs way is easy & no cost so to speak. It will work as well as any other method & is quick. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. TSP??? That's a new one for me...obvious I'm sure but I be slow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TSP is tri-sodium phosphate. It is available at hardware stores like Home Depot and is usually packaged in paper milk carton like containers, and found near the painting supplies. It is cheap and effective and won't give you liver cancer like many organic solvent degreasers. Use it as you would with any strong powdered detergent, rinse and dry well, and re-lubricate.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

brake clean works real well also. auto parts store.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dipping the whole thing in carbureutor cleaner works very well. Not much scrubbing required. It takes off all oils and greases that have 'lacquered up'.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A regular residential dishwasher does a great job except for the truly oxidized/polymerised lube oils. Aerosol heavy duty oven cleaner will remove those. So will automotive choke/carb cleaner.

OB

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have heard people say that some of the automotive cleaners (brake?) would remove case colors. Am I thinking of something else, or is that still the case?

Sidelock
Sidelock

None of the Break cleaners or such that I have used would remove case colors. I would think that a cleaner would have to be acidic or corrosive to affect the case colors. One would not want to put anything like that on break parts or carburators for that matter. My solution was to buy an old but working ultrasonic cleaner from a dentist. Nothing I know of will clean as well. David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.