Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Boxlock
Boxlock

Try reading my post before deeming the gun "junk." How much research have you devoted toward this gun? How much have you read about it?

Boxlock
Boxlock

"Bolt Action Rifles 4th ed by Frank de Haas and Dr. Wayne van Zwoll pg. 334. It's also in 2nd, and 3rd eds. of this book. "

I have the most recent addition of this book and have found numerous factual errors in de Haas' history of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw those junk conversions years ago....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't let HoJo ruin your introduction to this forum. He just does that. We don't know why...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's still a junk gun....

Boxlock
Boxlock

Geo, thanks. I've no doubt he saw those "junk conversions" years ago...they've been around since 1919...but people accepting them as junk (vs. a servicible if very clumsy shotgun, which happens to be my opinion from the research I've done) really has no basis in fact. I tried the "junk" angle. It just plain doesn't fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one is a crapper, but believe it or not all German shotguns are this bad. Few days ago I have examined 20ga SLE ejector (unfortunately with Greener x-bolt) from Merkel of Suhl. From once dipped in oil drum wood finish I would say it was made in 1980s and imported by GSI. Nice trim gun with quality engraving signed by Thomar. Decent work too bad game scenes are pure chaos with just bunch of critters carved into the plates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yet another symptom of this silly/acid season, the ritual trashing of the "highly collectible" Mossberg BA! ("Can't we all just get along?") Mossberg bolt action, "the single shot you can reload with one hand!" I wouldn't trade my Mossie for any old Remo. But then mine's got the special order "almost Monte Carlo" mystery wood stock and the rare "Cold War-era muzzle- brake-external-variable-choke-tube device"! (And it's pre-64....)

By the way, welcome Dalkowski110; very useful posts. I like it when a member asks for information and actually GETS some, not just quips aimed at his lack of knowledge. Fortunately, that is usually what happens on this board.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks Mike! If anyone is genuinely interested in the Remo/Geha/Hard Hit Heart, I will be glad to take serious questions. I've been researching these guns for over three years now. Sort of a combination of how poorly documented they are, how much misinformation there is, what the Germans were trying to accomplish when they were made, and eventually (after sparring via keyboard with one individual for about a solid month), to present them as what they are in terms of shootability: clunky and innaccurate, but hardly death traps (although I would advise anyone with a Remo-Popular, which is not a '98 action gun, but still a German bolt shotgun, not to shoot it...they did not properly heat treat those like they did with the Remo/Geha/Hard Hit Heart).

I am hardly limited to Remos and their design cousins. When I last talked with (actually, more like "was shouted down irrationally by") an individual who insisted that my defense of these guns was somehow because they were the best I owned, he was quite wrong. I'm the proud owner of two pre-WWII drillings, several upscale sporting rifles, and have had a few SxS's (I had an AyA .410 but sold it because I just don't have much for a .410; I actually have a nice 12 Ga. Hunter Arms Fulton utility grade that I like playing around with, i.e., shooting trap without worry of scuffing the finish). My interest in this design merely stems from its uniqueness, yet also the fact it can indeed function.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saw some in Alaska still being used and looked in worst shape.Also saw a couple rechambered for 45/70 that had blown up in the chamber area.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.