March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ChiefAmungum, Jtplumb, SKB, Lloyd3, battle, fullandfuller), 299 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
grogel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This isnt a double question but after years of lurking I cant think of a more knowledgeable group of people to ask.

Im looking for your opinions on the finish of early savage 1899s.

Early 1899s had a deep black finish. This finish covered lines that where in the metal that are visible as the finish wears.

even as the finish wears, it seems to retain its black and gloss.

during this time the forend metal seemed to have the same finish as the receiver.

In the 20s, the finish changed to a less glossy finish

the finish used on the forarm metal also seemed to change. It is often shows more wear than the receiver.

My question is..What type of finish, charcoal, rust, bright polish blue, do the educated finishers here think where used on the early guns and what two finishes might have been used on the late receivers and forend irons.

AKA garyg, depending on how confused and which computer Im on.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The early guns were done in a carbonia/charcoal blue. As with most firearm co's. , they found custic blue Much cheaper & converted to using same.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
grogel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Ken. Is there a reason the caustic blue might fade faster on the forarm metal?

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

grogel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Michael,
Thats my usual stomping grounds. Its actually the lack of knowledge of original finish that brings me here. From time to time some one will ask about original finishes on the 99s at the 24 hour campfire and no one seems to have an answer. I dont think that there are any savage records on applied finishes.

It was this question
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...e/4#Post2377749

and an article by SDH in Shooting Sportsman may/june 2006 that got me thinking about asking here.

Last edited by grogel; 09/01/08 04:33 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say the forearm metal is much lower grade than the reciver and barrels causeing a difference in colors over time.Remember the cheaper Wichhester 94 frames than lost their blueing about the same time you purchased it off the shelf and they couldn't be reblued.We also have the purple barreled Ruger pistols.The different metals look about the same when new but chance with abit of age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

grogel,

Well I was no help there ;-), I'm not into Savages so I have almost no material on the subject. The place were the Savage collector get together was my only idea, sorry.

Good luck on your search,

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an opinion here and for what that's worth here goes.
For some reason the metal used in principally lever action rifle receivers doesn't hold blue as was as,for example, the barrels. Anyone who is familiar with Winchester Model 92&94s as well as Savage 99s will know what I'm talking about. I've handled many vintage lever actions with still nicely blued barrels and receivers that have usually turned brown.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

grogel,
The Savage 99 is about my least favorite rifle, that said, I am very interested in firearm finishes. I believe the lines in the first photo are forging marks and I have seen them in Colt, S&W, Marlin etc.mostly on flat surfaces and may be more apparent with the early finishing techniques (burnishing rather than grit polishing?!) may bring them out. (I have succesfully polished and rust blued these marks with no visiblility. They can show horribly with re-case coloring)
(Poor snapshot that shows forging lines in 1913 vintage Colt New Service, charcoal blued?)

There are a lot of assumptions abut early finishes and I've heard many, many folks that seem assured of their knowledge, but so little is even known about Winchester finishes (certainly the most studied and most factory verified) that most instant answers are conjecture. I have been revisiting my own reseach and writing and find much of it based on repeating others rather than original source material?!?!
The answer may be in early Savage technical material, but until someone affords it the research and dedication theat Mr. Petrov has done with his specialty, all you are going to get is speculaion and conjecture.
Sure wish I had better answers.
Your photos offer insight and are great for visual comparisons, unfortunately the color and saturation can be instantly altered by changing the camera exposure, which I often do to present a different 'look' with the same photo.
Ken is probably correct, as is sxs about wear examples, but that has to do with metal type and manufacture as well as finishing process.
Please do keep after it and let us know what you find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW, I had a M-99, just post war (1948?) in the shop a couple of years ago with an absolutely wonderful rust blue job. I'd have been pround to say I'd done it! How do I know it was rust blue besides the look? With the wood off you could see the individual swab marks and unblued metal that I've seen so many times with my own rust bluing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.