May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (DSchrank, Guy Ave, susjwp, skeettx), 371 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hope I am not violating the rules by drawing attention to a particular auction. I have seen a number of questionable guns for sell by this same person but I am more interested in opinions of the gun instead of the man that did this to the gun. Should this "low heat and chemical process" be something of concern or is it potentially damaging to the receiver? Could it be easily undone? Overlooking the chopped and rebuilt stock is the torch to the receiver something that lowers the value or would it completely rule the gun out for you?

Ithaca 20 gauge NID

Sidelock
Sidelock

The torch man is at it again.

I don't know what he means by low heat, by the time he heated one spot and went to the others what temperature do you think the receiver was at then?

Dave, you're sick in a good way. "other then that mrs Lincoln how was the play?"

Last edited by JDW; 09/08/08 06:40 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Overlooking the chopped and rebuilt stock is the torch to the receiver something that lowers the value or would it completely rule the gun out for you?"

"other then that mrs Lincoln how was the play?"

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think that would create any change at all in the cyrstal structure of the steel. It looks like garbage and is done with the intent of looking like case hardening to deceive the unknowing buyer; it won't hold up at all, will be gone in a flash and receiver will be gray once more.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not buy a spare part from this faux alchemist!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I would not buy a spare part from this faux alchemist!

Nor would I. In fact, in buying a used gun the first thing I might want to know is whether or not Ed Good ever owned it.

Gil, that is what I wanted to know. I didn't know if it was just ugly and could be removed or if it would likely have an adverse affect on the temper of the receiver.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the stock had not been cutoff and then spliced, with all the care of his fine metal finishing, that gun would have been a decent buy. He wants $1,200.00 for the gun. If you did not need to replace the stock, then the proper case coloring expense would have been very cost effective. As it is you can not justify several hundred for the recoloring and then several hundred more for a new stock. You would end with over two grand in the gun and never get that much back out of it.

As a shooter is would have been a better buy before the torch. Big Ed1 strikes again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Temper" isn't the correct term there. Temper is what you might do to a hardened piece of steel, to remove some hardness, brittleness, as if to a knife blade. The heat from a torch would introduce some carburization; that is strictly on the surface, probably less than .001. Color case hardening is deeper--I think maybe 3-5 thou. But there are others much more knowledgable than I on this subject; I hope they chime in. But the point is that torching the receiver would be less than skin deep and would have no effect (IMO) on the metallurgy; the steel would be fully normalized after the procedure--the crystal stucture would be unchanged. Color case hardening (to which you would assume the receiver was doubtless subjected) only affects the very outside of the case, that portion where the carbon molocules can attach; the interior remains soft

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil what you are saying is correct, providing the innards were taken out and the heat couldn't reach them.
The one side with the slight reddish tint, that temperature was close to 1100F, not what I call low temperature.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
If the stock had not been cutoff and then spliced, with all the care of his fine metal finishing, that gun would have been a decent buy. He wants $1,200.00 for the gun. If you did not need to replace the stock, then the proper case coloring expense would have been very cost effective. As it is you can not justify several hundred for the recoloring and then several hundred more for a new stock. You would end with over two grand in the gun and never get that much back out of it.

As a shooter is would have been a better buy before the torch. Big Ed1 strikes again.

Thanks Jon. I agree that this particular gun has too many problems. That is why I wanted to take the stock and any other issues out of the equation. I was only interested in what the torch could or would do to alter the metal and that particular gun gave a good visual example of one that had been torched.

Gil, I wasn't sure if "temper" was correct and apparently it isn't. I thought tempering hardened and made steel potentially more brittle. I thought what you described was annealing. I should have paid more attention in school.

Skip

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.