March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ed. I received my copy today and it looks like it will be a great read and very informative. Thanks also for the catalogs and the copy of Knight of the Trigger. It was unexpected and a very nice gesture.
Destry, thanks for explaining the phrase "Shooting Flying". I never realized what it met.
Gordon Green

Gordon

If you don't fly first class, your heir's will!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Run With The Fox

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Pteryplegia: Or, The Art of Shooting Flying" first penned, according to Col. H.P. Sheldon, in 1727, by Mr. Markland, A. B., writes...
"Five gen'ral sorts of Flying Marks there are;
The Lineals two, Traverse and Circular;
The fifth Oblique, which I may vainly teach;
But practice only perfectly can reach.
When a bird comes directly to your face,
Contain your fire a while, and let her pass,
Unless some trees behind you change the case.
If so, a little space above her head
Advance the muzzle, and you strike her dead.
Ever let shot pursue where there is room;
Marks, hard before, thus easy will become.
But, when the bird flies from you in a line,
With little care, I may pronounce her thine,
Observe the rule before, and neatly raise
Your piece, till there's no Open Under-space
Betwixt the object and the Silver Sight;
Then send away, and timely stop the flight."

...and is as timely today as it was when written.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Dean-o. Nice to know you spend time in the library, can't be restoring those old Stutz Bearcats all the while! Great literature from the past, and I am guessing he was a Limey-most likely his poem gave them the "Bum Belly Beak Bang" leading theory-RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, the burgeoning shelves of the "library" are only a few slippered steps from the stuffed leather chair where I sit, HP notebook on lap, typing this. That book, Pteryplegia, is a recent purchase. Derrydale, 1931, "No. 1 of 500, 200 of which have been coloured by hand have been printed by Eugene V. Connett at the Derrydale Press"
I was damn lucky to get it.

Dean

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen to that Dean- anytime you can get a Derrydale in readable condition today, consider yourself blessed. Like to read about about the late Mr. Connett-his start in the publishing business, etc. If you collect, read and study Hemingway as I do-one advantage is that he only had ONE publisher all his writing life-Scribner-simplifies the search. RWTF

EDM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
That book, Pteryplegia, is a recent purchase. Derrydale, 1931, "No. 1 of 500, 200 of which have been coloured by hand have been printed by Eugene V. Connett at the Derrydale Press" I was damn lucky to get it. Dean

Dean and others: If you scroll up to the pictures Destry posted you will see that the frontispiece of Markland's 1727 poem is also the frontis of my Parker Guns: Shooting Flying. The image is from my original 1767 copy of the book, which, believe it or not, I bought on eBay for less than I had paid years ago for my Derrydale reprint.

The term "Shooting Flying" traces to the title of a wood engraving in Richard Blome's The Gentlemans Recreation (London, 1686), which predates the invention of the possessive apostrophy and is thought to be the first English language reference to the sport (and is the first known image). (There is a book in Italian from the 1580s that mentions shooting flying in text but no picture.) Blome's "Shooting Flying" is pictured on page 28 of my new book, the image being from my slide of the original in the rare book room at the National Sporting Library in Middleburg VA. nsl.org

"Shooting Flying" is an anachronistic term that by the 1800s in America, morphed into "shooting on the wing" and "wing shooting," which likewise are incomplete sentences, but fairly describe what's going on. "Shooting Flying" was distinguished by Blome in the late 1680s from "Shooting Sitting" (also pictured in my book), which we now call "ground swatting." EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for filling in the blanks Ed. "Shooting Flying" far surpasses "Shooting Sitting" for sport and in the spirit of fair play . . . but I don't want to open that wound again. It was covered quite eloquently by both sides here several months ago.

EDM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DAM16SxS: Anyone who holds back on a turkey until he takes off ain't gonna have much more than ham for a main course on Thanksgiving. And Destry tells me that Virginia rail would rather take a load of sixes on the run than get up and go, so you pretend that they are rabbits. We should remember that in the days of flint and steel, the flash in the pan jumped the "sitting" ducks, and by the time the charge ignited and the shot was on its way, the birds were flying. Thus "shooting sitting" was often more challenging than taking incommers with wings braced over the decoys, using a modern splattermatic. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turkeys certainly are the exception, there's no arguement there. But when it comes to grouse, woodcock, waterfowl, pheasant and yes, even railbirds - "Shooting Flying" is the true sporting method of taking game. We are not shooting fowl in order that we and our families don't starve, but for sport - and if we need to kill something so badly that we must resort to "Shooting Sitting" (ground-swatting, in your own words) we are a sad lot. The exception, of course, is the wounded game that scurries for the tall grass or brush pile for concealment.

There, I've opened up the very wound I said I wouldn't.
In all good intent, Dean

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.