April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, montenegrin), 429 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, sent you a PM.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
OP Offline

Sounds great. I think many would like to see a stock redo on an old Army Navy. The cutting with boilded linseed also makes sense I haven't tried it yet but was thinking of doing that after my last post.

I will look into that Butchers Bowling Alley wax, too.

And also I am intersted in the Carnuaba wax from that 'business venture' that didn't take flight. How can we get some?

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I got her done last night and assembled. I cound not find a but stock to my liking so I went through my junk drawer and came upon one that was on my Dad's old single 12 gauge. I felt it apropriate and ground, filed and sanded to fit. Looks good on there, I will take some pics tonight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JayCee...... I just checked my PM's and nothing there. If you like send me an e-mail to steveyacht@hotmail.com.

thanks,

steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I would avoid waxing a stock unless I never intended re-oiling the finish.
Should you want to use a wax polish you could do a fine job with Bri-wax (excellant)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Salopian. The carnauba wax (at least) leaves a very impermeable and
hard surface on the finish.

OTOH it does impart a nice subdued protective shine.

JC(AL)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should warn you that removing the carnauba wax is a pain. I had to sand the experimental stock I applied it on. It had three applications of linseed oil and I experimented with my water soluble wax on it. (No, it does not come off with water)

The wax was impervious to acetone and 190º proof alcohol so I ended sanding it away.

JC(AL)

OP Offline

JayCee---thank you for the wax. I am SIKED to try it... and Steve, where are those pictures of the old Army Navy stock redo? Would like to see it!

I have tried that Behlens Blood Red and the Tung Oil on some nice old wooden boxes I have. They were looking tired and I was never crazy about the colour. WOW, they look terrific now. The colour is red without being too garish and the tung oil 4-6 coats is incredible; it looks like an old finish, not brand new which is what i was seeking.

I am part way through my current redo project. still applying mahogony stain and sanding to fill grain and darken the wood... it is getting there. Soon I'll be in the Behlen Blood Red phase! Then tung oil.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve's A&N:

JC(AL)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks To Juan Carlos for posting my pics. When I got this A&N you could not even see that there was any grain to thwe wood at all. The area around the loks was totally black with oil, grunge and grime. I was not comfortable using the Acetone and Alchohol baths as recommended, so I just scrubbed the hell out of it with Murphy's Oil Soap and hot water. After which I set the over temp to as low as it would go (approx 190F) and let dry for about an hour, turned off the oven and let it cool in the oven. Next day the oiling began...... Put it back together day before yesterday.
I call this a mantainence re-finish just to clean it up but not make it look too new!

Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.