May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tamid), 539 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,637
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
This is our group's 20th anniversary hunt in Huron SD (eastern SD). My recollection is that our early seasons had much more plentiful birds than even the much talked about last season. The daily takes back then were 'limits' for the entire group of 30+ hunters nearly every day. Last year, while some shot limits, others were skunked or maybe had a bird or two in our group. Overall average takes were about 2 1/4 birds per day for the 3 day hunt, with many of the same guys taking most of the birds. (y'ever try to shoot a 1/4 of a bird?)

If you know of some historical data, I'd be interested in the reading.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, well our Game and Fish here has been saying that inspite of a good winter and ok nesting that the numbers are down. All I can say is that after close to 3 weeks of grouse hunting, I've seen more pheasants than in the past few years. Lots of young birds just starting to turn. The areas that I've hunted are holding lots and I mean lots of birds. I have no idea why they are saying the numbers are down.

So far the CRP loss is not to bad, but next year may be different. Also, a lot of folks are taking their land out of our PLOTS program. One note on this, most of these PLOTS were not worth the effrot to begin with, grazed or hayed over, some even plowed under, but still in PLOTS. One of the best kept secrets here are some of the WPA's. A lot of guys won't hunt them due to the non-tox requirement, but if you do decide to hunt them, there is some great hunting to be found.

So far this year, the grouse hunting has been excellent. Also, the Hun numbers are up. I've shot more Huns these past 3 weeks than all of last year.

Overall, thru personal observation, I'd say we are in for a banner year!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
Great report and welcome news.
Counting the days (17!!) till we head to central ND.
This will be our first pheasant trip out to ND. Very excited.
We've had great times hunting the Huron area the last 4 years,
but we wanted to give ND a whirl this year.

Chuck H, we must've shot roosters out of the same soaked fields last year!
Couple of the guys in our group had "Muck" boots.
I bought a pair as soon as I returned from that trip.
They are just the ticket for the sloughs and marshes.
Good luck to all,
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Our friend's place is about 8 miles out of Huron, over by the village of Virgil. But he has sections all over the place. Might have past by you on the road or in the Crossroads Hotel or the Tailgate?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Chuck,
Crossroads, you say? Funny. That's where we stay. What's even funnier,
I'm sure I saw you and your crew as we were gearing up in the parking lot,
round about 11:30 one morning. You guys wear felt cowboy hats and your lab is brown
and real friendly (she came over and introduced herself)?
I pm'd you last year afterwards apologizing for not introducing myself,
but I guess the pm didn't get through to you.
If we cross paths in Huron again, I promise to buy you a drink
to make up for the lost opportunity due to my unsocial behavior.
Small world. Good luck in Huron this year!
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Yup, that sounds like us.
Sorry we missed having a cold one together. Hope to see you there sometime in the future. If all goes well, I'll be there every year on the openner.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.