Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Michael,
Which section is the discussion of French Polishing in? I can't find it and the 'search' facility is out of order or not available at present.

French Polishing can get a lovely finish, but it is somewhat delicate and easily marred. It doesn't stand up to damp weather if you take it into the field.

Years ago I had such a stock on a rifle that I bought for Deer hunting, aftr a couple of days the finish took on a clouded milky look that I couldn't get rid of. Eventually it had to be stripped off and the stock refinished with a hand rubbed oil finish.

Harry

My favorite Schuetzen rifle has a french-polish, it’s been wet a few times, water just runs off and no discoloration, it had it’s share of bangs and scratching. Works fine on that but not sure I would want french-polish on a hunting rifle that got a lot of hard use. I have seen several sporting rifles made before and after WWI with French polish but have never used one in the woods. I test for french polish with a wee bit of alcohol on a toothpick, one time I had too much and the alcohol ran in left a bad streak in the polish that took a lot of time to correct.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014