May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, NCTarheel, Guy Ave, gil russell, 1 invisible), 618 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,491
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118780 10/27/08 03:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I wrote my first article about Griffin & Howe one rifle I pictured and wrote about was this rifle. In the years before S.R. Griffin formed the company of Griffin & Howe (1923) he marked some rifles with “S.R. Griffin New York” on the forward part of the floorplate. For a while the early G&H rifles were marked in the same place. Having never seen a S.R. Griffin stock I identified this rifle as such.

Later having looked at some Hoffman Arms Co and John Dubiel stocked rifles it was clear that this rifle had been stocked by Dubiel and not Griffin. I believe that the rifle was sent to Hoffman for a make-over. Converted to .35-Whelen, stocked by Dubiel and retaining the original Kornbrath floorplate with the owner’s name.

It was a good lesson for me, once it’s printed the mistake is there for all time.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, beautiful rifle. What would you guess as to the approximate date this rifle was stocked by Dubiel?

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dr. Knutson wrote Townsend Whelen circa 1922 asking for advise about hunting in Alberta and told Whelen about his Griffin stocked Springfield. In 1923 he was hunting in Alberta and meet up with a hunting party that included Harry Snyder owner of Hoffman Arms Company. I don't known but suspect that when he returned from his hunting trip he sent the rifle for an upgrade to Hoffman Arms Co.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's some pretty serious provenance. Did it come from American Rifleman or some paper that came with the rifle?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The letter to Townsend Whelen was in an Arms and the Man magazine. I learned about the meeting in Alberta from an article in the June, 1924 issue of Outdoor Life. The title was With Pack Train and Tepee in the Rockies of Alberta by Frank Conger Baldwin. Dr. Knutson with advice from Whelen had quizzed Stanley Clark (recipient of the Whelen-Wundhammer) on guiding him but did not want to pay the price so he hired a couple of local Indians to pack him into game country. The hunting party lead by Stanley Clark were not happy about it. In the article he is referred to as "A Certain Doctor in Reynolds, ILL."

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm working on a John Dubiel article so if anyone has anything to offer I would be glad to hear from them. His early rifles are marked "Made by John Dubiel Ardmore, OKLA." later "Dubiel Arms Company Ardmore, OKLA" or just “Dubiel Arms Co.”

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This Dubiel High-Wall in caliber 35 WCF is in the collection of one of our members. The picture does not do justice to this fine rifle. With the owner’s permission I’ll post a letter from the original owner to Johns Dubiel on receipt of this rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very fine High Wall! Unusual styling, looking very highly finished. I'd love to see the letter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unusual indeed. Not my cup of tea for sure. But what's up with that lever? It seems to have an extra button or something under its tail. Or perhaps that is not part of the gun?

Darn beautiful grain to the wood. Any idea of what it is or how it was finished?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The button unlocks the lever, the wood is Circassian walnut, most makers of this time period used a linseed oil finish, mixing their own formula.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.