April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jem Finch, Jtplumb, eeb, rtw, 2 invisible), 998 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Piper-

The tone you might detect from me around this could best be noted as resonance from the sense that I have -- that the proofs on those barrel flats have
nothing to do with the rifle barrels sweated into them, or the work that was involved in getting them there.

Chasing the proofs won't likely get us any closer to identifying the maker of the donor gun either --
not that we'd get any fruit (low hanging or otherwise) from that information.

Here's another way to see where I'm coming from.
You and I could be walking home from Prince's Parlor late one night after much too much whiskey.
Having taken the wrong way down the sidewalk we somehow end up down by the drug store where we discover debris from what seems to have been a bit of a fender-bender.
We stoop down to examine the shards of broken tail light and chrome trim when I think I recognize the paint color as the light blue from a '74 Pinto.
You look at me sideways and let me know I'm a few years and a couple of car manufacturers off,
letting me know it's obviously a pile of wreckage from your sister-in-law's '69 Olds 88.

Both of us stoned and half blind on Jack and Coke decide it's a good idea to walk over to her place behind the Methodist Church and have a look.

Naturally we get lost on the way there and end up at the Distillery building, where we realize we've completely forgotten what we were doing,
and take a seat on the staircase for a bit of a rest. Fumbling for a smoke, we realize how completely ugly the staircase is,
and how irrelevant to the old building's architecture it is -
and that whoever built that frickin staircase should be hung in public on Sunday morning.

Ruminating on how we'd write the newspaper announcement for the public hanging, we realize that the staircase is pretty sturdy.
During this moment of clarity, I take from you the cigarette that you somehow finally got lit and take a long drag from the lit end.
You start bitching that I just put the damn thing out, and we figure this is a good time to get back to the Parlor for a nightcap.
On the way there we see your sister-in-law (who by the way is half a sheet further into the wind than we are), I realize my tounge really hurts,
and the sight of your sister-in-law brings the taste of ashes to my mouth...

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way-

If someone offered me those barrels, I'd take them.
No hesitation.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Concidering where the man is from and where the barrels were purchased I will make my guess. These must be a set of tubes built up by Herr Klunkermiester in his trials to build a double rifle.The timming is about right as I'm the sure much of the basement gunshop has been cleared out and these barrels would fit in the take the lot type of deal of ain't got a clue what it is items.If these are truly tubes by Russ then the value is priceless no matter what they fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gaugedrifles;
One further question on these bbls, the Scott patent Pete mentioned would seem to be the most likely one referred to. Is the portion of the front lump which contains the hook for the hinge made seperate to the rest of the lump. If so it should then be adjustable for taking out play by turning in the screw in bottom of lump. If this be the case would be nice if you could post a close-up of this feature, have never seen on of them.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

If these are truly tubes by Russ then the value is priceless no matter what they fit.[/quote]

I'll agree with that!!!

OP Offline

Thank you all for your feedback. As per your request, attached is a photo of the front lump.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gaugedrifles;
Thanks for the pic. That surely does look like the Scott patent. There is a post on the Lefever forum concerning a set of bbls (only) which have also been sleeved to rifles & bear this same patent & have British proofs. They are however with the D M Lefever marking on the rib & likely were for a Lefever Sidecocker originally Ca 1878-1880. I have seen no pics of those yet & the proofs may well have put there at sleeving. I do not believe these to be Lefevers, though. This has been to me a very interesting discussion & I thank you for the post. Matter's not to me whether the bbls are actually worth $1.00 or $1,000.
One thing is still somewhat of a puzzler though. The London Proofs indicate man'f in England, but must have been destined to sell in the USA, else why would they have marked the US patent on it rather than the British??

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my take. Double underlugs, little bitty doll's head, may have been made for a Colt. I don't know about the 1883, but the 1878 was of that configuration. Colt double rifles have always been legendary and valuable, and factory made. Maybe someone was attempting to "make" a Colt double rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a pic of the lugs on my W C Scott and Son hammer gun. Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's the adjusting screw with lock in the forward lug. One has to understand though that once adjusted the screw slots will not necessarily line up quite so neat.

Miller/TN
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.