March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (greener4me, NZHunter, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

CA has some really stupid gun laws. That said, and considering I'm coming to the state after 20-some years in New York (!!!), so far I can get along with them.

The ten-day wait has been in place since I left CA in the 1970s, I think. So you really always need to have a back-up gun or so, since your new one will be sitting at the dealer for a while. Not a big deal for me, since I have lots and often have to "lay away" new guns anyway--poverty equals deferred gratification....

I recently bought a used revolver from a dealer and long-time friend in NYS. He was truly pissed that there was going to be "one more thing" to do to get the deal done. But he's built his business on good customer service to people like me and he went ahead and contacted CADOJ. No big deal he said afterward and the guy he talked to was even civil and interested in the gun biz in NYS.

I recently was told something by a dealer that I just didn't believe. Sent an email to DOJ asking if it was true. Got a phone call about ten days later confirming that the guy simply didn't understand the law (Federal gun law). Very matter of fact and helpful.

The Gummints aren't going away, boys--Feds, States, and locals. We need to work with them and get what we want, even if it takes some making nice. It's OK to be pissed, like my friend. But then you got to get over it and do what you have to do.

I have to admit that our "hobby" has got suspiciously like "work" in the past couple of decades....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
I was a friendly guy in an unfriendly state once!
At a long time ago CADA show outside of Chicago, I had to fight my gun from the Chicagoland police dept., all the while trying to get my proof of being a Missouri resident from my wallet.
They were tugging at a tidy priced gun at that!
No way would I ever do gun business in Ill. again.

This brought back a memory.I don't know if they are still being held but the CADA Shows which were held at Pheasant Run in the Western Chicago Suburbs were some of the finest(quality of material for sale) gun shows I ever attended.
I was fortunate enough to only live about 10 minutes away and made it a point to always attend them.
These was also a huge show in the Northern suburbs in Grays Lake
which I've been told the antis got cancelled. I feel fortunate to now live in Arizona and the 1500 table Crossroads of the West show will be coming uo in a couple of weeks.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/19/08 12:13 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I feel fortunate to now live in Arizona and the 1500 table Crossroads of the West show will be coming uo in a couple of weeks.

We here in SoCal still have the occasional Crossroads of the West Gunshow at the Orange County Fairgrounds, but if there are 1500 tables, 1400 of them will be black guns and beef jerky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Replacement on SoCal versions of "Crossroads of the West" gunshows--not worth attending for guns and too expensive to attend just because you're bored or jonesing for a new beany baby. The gun market down here is supremely overpriced just like most things CA (except for Mexican food, which is priceless anyway....). If you do find a gun that interests you, you have to politely go three tables away to vent the bellylaugh.

The VERY few good deals I've found locally were on calguns.net, and were individual-to-individual sales. Those only work fore me if I can physically go to the seller and see what he actually has, then repair to a mutually acceptable FFL to do the 14 pounds of paperwork. Fortunately, I'm retired and the price of gas has moderated. The fees on these deals that you have to pay at the FFL are state-mandated, so the dealer can't hold you up like in a deal where the gun has to be shipped. For that reason, many of the chain gunstores do this very reluctantly (or screw it up).

Like most places, you need to cultivate a network of knowledgeable, honest "gun people" to get what you want. Just a little harder in LALA.....but did I mention the tamales dulces, carnitas en salsa verde, camarones en coco?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well you guys would really hate the December Crossroads show here.
In addition to the usual set up of 1500 tables with ALL types of firearms including double guns the SAR sets up at this show in another building. For those unaware these are all Class III dealers with a huge building of,Heaven Forbid, all kind of full auto firearms which are perfectely legal to own here but not in the Peoples Republik of California. Oh and I have bought many older classic guns of all types at these shows as that's where my primary interests lie.
Quote:
"We here in SoCal still have the occasional Crossroads of the West Gunshow at the Orange County Fairgrounds, but if there are 1500 tables, 1400 of them will be black guns":

I find this statement interesting since Kalifornia has effectively outlawed the private sale and ownership of even semi-automatic "assault weapons" lookalikes. So those 1400 tables full of black guns must be the solid plastic castings they use in movies.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/19/08 08:57 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs

"We here in SoCal still have the occasional Crossroads of the West Gunshow at the Orange County Fairgrounds, but if there are 1500 tables, 1400 of them will be black guns":

I find this statement interesting since Kalifornia has effectively outlawed the private sale and ownership of even semi-automatic "assault weapons" lookalikes. So those 1400 tables full of black guns must be the solid plastic castings they use in movies.
Jim

Not quite.

I don't live in CA so don't hold me to the details. It is still quite possible to own a 'black gun' in CA. There are some strange rules and weird parts (Monsterman Grip, Bullet Button mag release)and odd rules but it is possible to build/buy an 'Off List' AR and legally own it in CA.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 11/19/08 09:40 PM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW - I really miss the Crossroads of the West Gunshows. I attended them in Phoenix for many years and then in Sandy, UT for another decade.

I have not yet attended a gunshow in PA, so I don't know yet what I am going to find. Somehow I doubt it will be 1500 tables.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

You would be amazed at how many non-firing replicas there are at the CoW shows. There are also look-alikes that skirt the regulations ever so slightly. "Black guns" also refers to the inevitable bunch of short barrelled/plastic-stocked shotguns and polymer-framed pistols, as well as to legitimate modern waterfowl guns (but not many of those in evidence). Best boots I ever owned came from a CoW show, from a dealer closing out old inventory at about a 75% discount. It was the last table I passed as I headed out the door.

Don't forget the beef jerky...

Last edited by Replacement; 11/19/08 09:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The crossroads show comes to SanFrancisco at the Cow Palace.
There are very few things spoken of here on this site that I have not seen at the crossroads show there -- everything comes to the show.

Granted there is a lot of black plastic at the urban area shows, also consider that there's a lot of wetland bird hunting going on here in the state, also lots of rough timber game hunting as well.
There are many forms of 'Black Rifle' type configuration long guns legal for purchase/transfer/use here, including AR type rifles and carbines.

Still, from what I see and hear, the plastic-fantastic guns and rifles are not unique to the state of California.

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike A. ,"the very few good deals I've found locally were on calguns.net and were individual to individual sale. Thos only work for me if I can physically got to the seller and see what he actually has, then repair to a mutually acceptable ffl to d o the 14 lbs. of paperwork."

Mike A, and others who live and know in CA, is a plain old private sale between 2 adults illegal? Do you have to go through an ffl? Just curious.

redoftx

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.