March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found a Winchester Model 21that was billed as a skeet gun, even though it had 30 "barrels. The price was reasonable for a 21, I think, but I don't know much about 21s. The 30" barrels and skeet seem a bit odd, and I couldn't find any mention of that config via GOOGLE. Am I looking at someone's parts gun, or ?? Thanks for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are they saying it's a skeet grade gun or is it really marked "SKEET" on the bottom of the frame? Sounds like it may be a "TRAP" grade. However, it must be remembered that a Model 21 could be special ordered however the customer wanted it.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not much of a Mod 21 fan, but for a 30" 20 g, I'd grab it if the price is right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A typical 21 skeet gun may have "skeet" stamped on the receiver ahead of the trigger guard. But when you look at the choke stampings just ahead of the flats you'll see WS1 and WS2 on 12s, 16s, and 20s - not skeet. Usually right barrel WS1, left WS2 - though some are reversed. I've got one that's WS1 and the WS2 is factory overstamped/opened to IC.

Chokes on 28s and .410s will be stamped skeet - and not WS1/WS2.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I'm not much of a Mod 21 fan, but for a 30" 20 g, I'd grab it if the price is right. "
I find no mention of the gauge of the gun Posted.

As other have said, there was a Skeet Grade gun produced in the Pre-War years with has nothing really to do with a gun for SKEET.
Winchester produced two guns for SKEET that were cataloged as such and marked 'SKEET' on the floorplate. The first version had 26" barrels and could be had with straight or pistol grip from stock. The second later version had 28" barrels. Both these guns were choked SK1/Sk2 with Winchesters propriatary choking and were touted not just for SKEET but for upland hunting in Winchester adverts.
If your gun has 30" barrels, it is not a SKEET from stock but as said Winchester would make anything one wanted. The only way to know if original or how modified is a Cody letter.
Serial #, pictures and a much better description would help in evaluation. -Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pre-WW-II you could get a Model 21 "Trap Grade" that was not a trap gun, but a Skeet Gun was always a skeet gun.

My earliest Winchester catalogue to show the Model 21 is 1933. It shows the "Standard", "Tournament", "Trap" and "Custom Built" Grades and the "Skeet Gun". The "Skeet Gun" was offered in 12-, 16-, and 20-gauges with a straight grip stock, checkered wood butt, beavertail forearm, single-selective trigger, ejectors, a non-automatic safety and was bored WS-1 right and WS-2 left. The catalogue goes on to state that in its first year, 1932, the Model 21 Skket Gun carried the long run record in both 12- and 20-gauges.

By the 1934 catalogue you could get a skeet gun in the "Trap" Grade ($147.10) or "Tournament" Grade ($130.70) and you could now have a straight or a pistol grip. By 1938 the "Tournament" Grade is gone, and it is again just the Skeet Gun, but it can be had in "Standard", "Trap" or "Custom Built" Grades, barrels are still only 26-inch but the extra cost option of a vent rib is now available. For 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1946 the offerings were the same. By 1950 the Skeet Gun now has 28-inch barrels, and the remained so through 1959.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To complicate matters further, and to demonstrate that Winchester would make whatever the customer wanted (what a concept!), I have a 2 barrel 20 ga. M21, which the Cody letter says is a skeet grade gun ( it has the longer forearm) but the two barrel sets are 26"I/C and Mod, and 28" Mod and Full. The "Skeet" stamp is missing from the floorplate. BTW, both sets of barrels are chambered and marked for 3" shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned such a gun. A Model 21,20ga. With 30 in. barrels. SKEET stamped on the trigger plate. This gun was choked Mod & Full and chambered for 23/4 and 3 in CHAM.

I traded this gun to Galazan for one of his CSM Model 21s w/30" barrels. The CSM gun IMO is better built and the warranty is a huge plus over any Winchester 21 one might purchase.
By the way, my Win. 21 never hit Tony's web site and how sits in a privite collection.

Last edited by Buddy Marson; 12/05/08 06:08 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a "tournament skeet" grade, as marked on the floor plate, 20 ga. 2 barrel set. It has a 26" ws1/ws2 barrel and a 30" IM/Full barrel. It was originally a straight stock with a BT forearm. Unfortunately some one had replaced the pad with an old white line pad. I re-stocked the gun to get it shootable for me, but kept the old stock in case I wanted to put it back on. The gun came in a leather flat case with the purchasers name embosssed on it. I believe it also has A&F embossed, but would have to pull it out to be sure. When I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, there was also an almost identical set with it, but I could not work a deal on it. I am pretty sure it did not have a grade stamped on the floor plate. It had 26" ws1/ws2 and 28" IM/Full barrels, both 3" marked. I think I remember the sn's being about 30 apart between the sets. It also had the leather flat case with the owners initials. Not the same 3 initials, but the same last initial. The story I got was that they came from a family from the Va. Tidewater area. I wish I had picked it up as well, but as usual not enough money for everything!!

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will put some up.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.