May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (skeettx, bigblock, CJ Dawe, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,512
Posts545,664
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: T.J.P.
So do you think that the model 24 could handle the occasional high-brass load for my turkeys?(16ga.)

It will handle however many cases you want to shoot through it.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: T.J.P.
So do you think that the model 24 could handle the occasional high-brass load for my turkeys?(16ga.)

One of turkey hunting's great writers, Tom Kelly used that same gun for turkeys. Like the Stevens 311, the model 24 Winchester is at it's "best" in 16ga..Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/09/08 12:43 AM.
T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Now I am familiar with the Stevens 311 my Grandpa has 2 a .410 and a 12ga. that he just calls his "Meat Maker".If I end up shopping for a new gun the Stevens will be one that I look for. Are there any weak spots in the Stevens doubles? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TPJ, I like the Stevens guns for their reliability and because I don't mind getting them wet on a bad day. However, they seem to me to be built on just two frame sizes; the 12's seem to be built on a frame that is unneccesarily big and all of them handle like a 2x4, whereas the 16, the 20 and the .410 all seem to be made on the same frame. That frame is just too big for the smaller guages. Only the 16ga seems "right" to me. If you can find an older gun made in the forties or fifties, you'll be surprized at how good the walnut stocks can look.

All said, there are many better guns, but not many of them sell in the $250 to $450 range that Stevens 311's do...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only problem with the Model 24 is that some (most?) dealers ask ridiculous prices because the gun says "Winchester" on it. You can probably find a Hunter Fulton, Lefever Nitro, or Ithaca Western Long Range a good bit cheaper, talking about guns in similar condition. All pretty much similar quality, although the 24 does have consistently good stock dimensions, while you may find some of the others have quite a bit of drop. You'll find Stevens a whole lot cheaper than 24's.

T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ok. Here is what I have so far. I'm going to look at getting the Peerless fixed, if that will be too much I'm going to look at the Stevens 311, the Nitro special, the Model 24 Win. The Hunter Fulton, and the Ithaca. On these guns I know the Winchester and the newer Stevens can handle the occasional high-brass load. But what about the rest I listed there? Thanks for all the help.Oh I'm going to look at the SKB's too

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just about any decent SxS built since WW II will be safe with modern 2 3/4 loads.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would probably not be wise to shoot the Hunter Fulton, Ithaca Nitro, or Western Field guns with heavy loads. They will no doubt take it in the beginning, but once the bolting surfaces get pounded, every successive round gets a running start and the wear accelerates. Once a gun gets loose, even normal or low pressure loads can cause more damage.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will probably be looking for something post war then.Any more suggestions? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Today I looked at J.P. Sauer & Sohn made 1958 that was off face too. It wasn't because of firing heavy loads as these Sauers are pretty hardy. It was very apparent the owner never cleaned or lubricated the trunion or locking surfaces on the double underlugs. He also slammed it shut when he handed it too me. He was quite dissappointed when I handed it back after examining it and so was I as otherwise I would have bought the gun at his price. So for another suggestion - clean and lubricate the trunion surfaces after each use, also the locking lug surfaces. Learn to close the action properly - don't slam them closed as that will stretch the action faster than a few heavy loads. You can add a post war Sauer to the list of guns you might want to consider. They can be had in the $500-$800 range frequently. Also the Charles Daly Miroku SxS which is a close relative of the Browning BSS and much less expensive.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 12/10/08 12:57 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.