April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#125077 12/09/08 11:47 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I would like to hear positive and negative points on the Browning Superposed from actual users.

I am considering purchasing one in 12ga. I'd like 28" bbls choked mod/full. I currently shoot SxS's but thought I'd give the O/U a try. I am looking at a couple. One mfg in the late 50's and the other mfg in the mid 60's. I know about salt wood and I know the chokes are fixed. Any reason why one of these would not be a good pheasant gun? Thank you,

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Superposed twelve choked skeet and skeet with 26" barrels. I hunted with it for 10 years. I never had a problem with the action or the ejectors. The barrels did come unsoldered at the muzzle and Browning fixed them for $200.

I hunted pheasant and Bobwhites with it. I was much younger and more muscular so carrying the 7lbs-13oz didn't bother me.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure someone can come up with a few negatives, but the only one I can think of in the context of your question is the weight of a 12 ga. Super with 28" bbls for pheasant hunting. I'm guessing this configuration to weigh about 7.5 lbs... which can get heavy walking around with for hours in heavy cover. I use a 20 ga. Super with 26" bbls (cir. mid 60's) and it's easy to walk all day with. I'm a big fan of the Superposed.

-jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think they are one of the better buys in the used gun market.
I've had six and the only issue I've had was a broken ejector rod that I purchased from MWG. I really prefer the 32" Broadways 'cause they fit me. A plus to that is they seem to be one of the less desirable models.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best Supers I had were a pair of 12 gauge Superlights weighing about 6# 8oz but they are pricey. A Field grade will be over 7#'s but if no problem than an excellent pheseant gun.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 12ga. Superposed. It is one of my favorite guns (because I shoot it fairly well). I mostly use it for sporting clays and occasional skeet. I wish I could shoot just one old SxS as well. I would take an old Superposed over a new Citori any day.

These are relatively heavy guns and soak up recoil well. The weight also helps with swing through. I do opt for something lighter for long walks or rough terrain.

The previous owner had thin wall choke tubes installed. Screw in chokes only make you feel better at the clay range. I would actually prefer fixed chokes in a hunting gun but, that's just my opinion. You could get the fixed chokes opened a bit maybe, depending on what you like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Citori is fine gun and may be better than a Superposed but it just isn't a Superposed. It isn't John Browning's last shotgun and it doesn't have the forend that stays on the barrels. Some people don't like that but I do because....well, that's what Superposeds do. They stopped making the Superposed because it was too expensive, not because there was no market. They moved production to Japan and took money out of the cost of production. That's enough for me. A 12 ga. Superposed is one of the best gun bargains today. The most I have paid is $1,200.00. 20s are another story and there are few bargains there. I paid $1,150.00 for a 1934 double trigger (not double-single). Angelo Bee engraved it in the B1 style and it is now stocked with feather crotch claro. Beautiful. I can't get enough of these things.

Richard Howard
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never been a fan of the Superposed for the simple reason that every one I have picked up is stocked too high. I have my father's gorgeous Lightning Trap in the cabinet, but I can't shoot it. Perhaps I should have it restocked.

Beyond that, I have all the respect in the world for the gun, particularly the Belgian versions - reliable, durable, and push come to shove, rebuildable. They are maybe a little more copmplicated than they need to be, but people say the same thing about Parkers. If it rings your bell, don't hold back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

5E- The stock on a Lightning Trap, like any trap gun is supposed to be stocked high. For me the Superposed is the best O/U ever made in America by far. I have owned three and I still own a 20 gauge that people continue to buy off of me with no luck. It is a beautiful classic and is nice to have evn if you don't shoot it. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own several and love them. There is nothing to compare to a super. They are very well built and will take a beating of alot of shooting. They just got too costly to make. Frank

Last edited by FHALZ@AOL.COM; 12/09/08 04:11 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.