March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Travis S, 12boreman, MattH), 623 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sound of opening and closing a Superposed as one shoots skeet is the sweetest sound next to a well pumped Winchester Model 12. I have all four gauges in 28-inch barrel skeet guns, a 32-inch Broadway trap and a 12-gauge 28-inch ic/mod field grade lightning. My only down side to them as a field gun is there is no way I can move the selector/safety as a long bird takes to wing to use the modified barrel. Much easier to drop into the back trigger on my old meat-in-the-pot Ansley H. Fox.

A 12-gauge Superposed is probably one of the great used fine gun bargains on the market. The smaller bores get pretty pricey though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy - Yeah, I know about trap stocks; I think I have seven trap guns - no, wait, nine trap guns. I have also owned two Superposed skeet guns, and have shot a handful of others' field and skeet guns. None of them worked for me, but that doesn't qualify them as a bad gun - just not right for me. I'm still at the front of the line recommending them to others as rugged, reliable guns.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have pretty much made up my mind to go ahead and pick one up. How about a follow up shot? How is the selector/safety set up for the 2nd barrel?

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators. Will Rogers
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had a couple Supers and still have a 20g 2 bbl set that I hunt with. I like the 20g guns but have migrated away from most 12g shooting, both target and hunting.

The only downside I see in your prospects is the heavy weight of a 12g Super. But hey, I hunted many yrs with guns that heavy, so who am I to say they're too heavy.

These days, I like my pheasant guns to be 20g and between 6 and 6 1/2 lbs with a 1 oz Rem Nitro Phez load of #5. To fit this bill, I have 2 BSS 20g guns @ 6 1/2lbs, a Super @ 6 1/4lbs, a Beretta 391 @ 6 1/4 lbs, and a couple of project guns TBD on completion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The selector, like most designs, is not all that fast to use for me and frankly I don't bother with it. The only type I've seen that works well enough for me to consider changing barrel selection on a flush is the Win 21/SKB type with the button that is pushed to the left by the trigger finger. Coming back the other way is another story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had four in 12 ga including an early 26" $&$ and currently have three including an early one with "twin-single" trigger and a nondescript mid-sixties, short-tang Lightning to which previous owner added Briley thinwalls. I had the lock block TIGed and refitted on a Diana Field and also had problem with solid top rib loose at the scarf with the short rib section at breech on same gun--now repaired. Bores can frost pretty quickly if you don't clean them. I have always liked my Diana 28" "salt gun" despite the rib problem and had some castoff bent into the stock. They aren't heavy after a few Citoris and my early skeet gun was almost too light and too lively.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Safety and barrel selector is cruciform pattern and, as mentioned above, not the handiest switch you'll ever see but I've never had selector problems or failure to reset inertia block for second shot. '36 twin-single trigger has also been absolutely reliable. Rebuild kits (springs, struts, pushrods, firing pins, sight beads)are available from Midwest Gun Parts. Service and part replacement is very simple and straitforward; simple thru-bolt stock and no hammers hiding "in the box".

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot one at skeet for many years, I estimate it had 750,000 through it and now it is in new hands and still going strong.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find SxSs more comfortable to handle and walk with, especially in the uplands. The Superposed however is a great over-under. I don't know why they feel so great because most over-unders feel clumsy to me. The Superposed seems to swing with less effort than other over-unders. I have a 1968 Lightning in near mint condition. My Foxes stil get the nod, but I take the Super out often. It's great on grouse and woodcock.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Being a big fan of the Superposed, I think the others have said it well. Reliable, handles and carries well (that is, the ones with the round knob POW stocks), and all the other things mentioned. Biggest problems (not THAT big) are the trigger failing to reset for the second shot, the breech end of the rib is prone to shoot loose, and the chambers are prone to rust. Also, Superposed chokes tend to be a bit tighter that other guns, maybe almost one notch tighter. If you get an unmolested mod/full, you may find it's full/fuller. As far as the trigger reset, a simple cleaning of the innards will solve the problem 99% of the time. A 15 minute job, no need to take anything apart except for removing the stock. I have one that the rear 2-3" of rib has been loose on for 25 years and I just keep shooting it, no problem. As for the chamber corrosion, you do clean your guns after use, DON'T YOU? And then there's the mystique of owning a Super, John Browning's last design.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.