May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Sandlapper), 187 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,993
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#126122 12/15/08 05:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An invitation to Lurkers*

I’ve been watching the statistics here on Dave’s new forum and see that the Lurkering average is about par with other forums. Please join in when you can, ask questions, make suggestions or share what you know. Tell us what subjects you would like to discuss.

I’d like to make the following offer to the younger crowd (21 and under) folks I don’t see many of on these forums. If you will log on, introduce yourself tell us a little of your interest I’ll send the first person that post a signed copy of my book. I’ll do the same for a first time poster who is an active military member. Two books, one for the younger crowd and one for military.

*In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely participates

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, I've been called a jerk(er) before but never a lurker. Guess that doesn't count for a book, huh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a topic for u but don't know where to put it. The gun is a western 20 gauge double in shape for its age on the metals surface but mechanicaly tight. A friend gave me a couple of Double Gun mags he got at a yard sale. They are now thouroughly slobbered over. I had a local smith replace the wood. I would like to restore the metal. Im thinking about enhancing the engraving on the receiver and doing recase and reblue. How does the metalurgy in this gun compare to my Fox Sterlingworth? Will it continue to last as long as it has? I like the way the gun feels to me. I can hit what I shoot at. Previous owner had a boyscout troup shooting trap with it. This gun is as tight as new. Anyone interested in a project? I will try to take pictures.
Thanks
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dang Michael I signed up too soon and already spent my 22 years in the military. Oh well at 72 I may start my second childhood again and I will get your next Free copy when I reenlist.Smile
Personally I really enjoy the Site.And am sure as time goes on it will get better and better.If I can help in anyway outside of recuding members as I alredy do that.JUST ASK. Whitey

Boxlock
Boxlock

Michael,

I was 21 once, some time back, and I am a vet. I seldom lurk and get quite involved in topics, issues and such.

Such as. Whitey, how you doing on that TD Hornet? I'm putting together a 40-82 Crossno TD with a very heavy barrel.

Keep warm, where ever you are. JTL

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tomc
I have a topic for u but don't know where to put it. The gun is a western 20 gauge double in shape for its age on the metals surface but mechanicaly tight. A friend gave me a couple of Double Gun mags he got at a yard sale. They are now thouroughly slobbered over. I had a local smith replace the wood. I would like to restore the metal. Im thinking about enhancing the engraving on the receiver and doing recase and reblue. How does the metalurgy in this gun compare to my Fox Sterlingworth? Will it continue to last as long as it has? I like the way the gun feels to me. I can hit what I shoot at. Previous owner had a boyscout troup shooting trap with it. This gun is as tight as new. Anyone interested in a project? I will try to take pictures.
Thanks
Tom

Tom, If you will post your question on the Doublegun side I'm sure you will get a lot of response. Good Luck,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Just about done turning the barrel.Things keep getting in the way. Smile. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some ideas that would interest me:

Switch-barrel rifles:
e.g. Martini .22LR and .22 Magnum

Take-down rifles, perhaps even with multiple barrel sets (Notice a pattern here)

Stalking rifles (How about take-down switch barrel ones)

Quick-detach scopes, such as claw mounts, EAW swing mounts, Kreighoff slide-off mounts

Gauge rifles. How about a single-shot 12 bore on a Martini Large action with rifled barrel, heavy iron sights and set up for round balls. I have an extra Martini takedown GP shotgun if someone wants to install an ER Shaw rifled barrel and fit it up with good irons. I'll stock it just like a English stalking rifle. (Wow, since it already has a shotgun barrel, it would be a takedown rifle as well!)

Making fitted takedown gun cases. I've made a few in my time and may have a few in-process photos. I have one in the works now for a two-barrel shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
An invitation to Lurkers*

I’d like to make the following offer to the younger crowd (21 and under) folks I don’t see many of on these forums. If you will log on, introduce yourself tell us a little of your interest I’ll send the first person that post a signed copy of my book. I’ll do the same for a first time poster who is an active military member. Two books, one for the younger crowd and one for military.

Well,
I'm new at this stuff and I've been 21 over three times now, working on the fourth. Been in the Military twice but like Whitey it was a long time ago. Shot all over the world, was starting to get interested in Traditional Single Shot Schuetzen type rifle shooting but the "good old boys" over on that other site really discouraged me. I don't think I could shoot shoulder to shoulder with some of them as I would be tempted to slap them up side the head and that wouldn't be a good thing so I backed off. Did get to shoot in two of there events and really enjoyed it before I found out what some of the guys were all about.

Now I'll ask the important question, I'm not young enough to win one, and I'm sure I'm to old to be in the military to win one, so maybe I'll buy one, now I'll show how dumb I am, what is the book about.
Set Trigger

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Set Trigger,
Now days I primarily write for Precision Shooting Magazine on the subject of Pre-1940 American custom rifle makers. A couple years ago PS published a book of my articles.
http://www.precisionshooting.com/book_ads/book_ads_customgunmakers_frame.html

Not much in the book on the makers of single-shot rifles.

I been involved with Schuetzen rifles for more than thirty years and there are some fine people in the sport. You should not let a few people discourage you. Find folks in your area who shoot Schuetzen rifles and join them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.