Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele

How about a takedown switch-bbl in 17 HM2 or HMR, 22LR or 22WMR, 219 Zipper, 25-35, 7-30 Waters, 30-30 and 35/30-30? The RFs can be used with offset bores to allow the CF firing pin to strike the RF edge while the 30-30-size extractor will extract the RF cases adequately from the offset bore.

Joe

Your switching barrels why not switch trigger groups also and insert the correct one when needed; one for rimfire, one for rim fire magnum and one for centerfire. Then all you would have to do is keep all your centerfires with the same cartridge head.

Last edited by The Double D; 12/18/08 12:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

DD, your suggestion is a good one and I initially wanted to go that way, but was dissuaded by the relative unavailability of Cadet parts. Then the concept of an offset bore occurred to me; been done plenty of times before, it ain't rocket science, but the extraction would work with only one particular case head size. It happened to be the 30-30 size, you'll notice all the ones I mentioned above are that size. I could also have probably used either of the 303 Savage or 30-40 sizes but IMO they are slightly too large for loads above 40K.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall & Whitey, I would love to write for a venue that valued smithing articles!

And, would pay me enough to assuage at least my pride if not my pocketbook(G).

At this point the cheese starts to get binding, as my old grandmother used to say. Unfortunately the smithing-only magazines of the past seem to have all gone bust in short order, and most if not all others aren't really that interested in smithing articles or at least they don't seem to be. AAMOF it was John Campbell's publishing of more smithing articles in the Journal that was one of the bones of contention in the ASSRA. Apparently some folks in the ASSRA didn't want to see that type of article, for whatever reasons.

I already have enough material collected & begun for around 2 dozen single shot articles, and another 2 dozen regular columns on handy amateur-made tools and easy-to-follow procedures. Could do the same for bolt actions if prodded enough. And there are plenty of other real (as opposed to me, G) authorities/experts on this & other forums who have already tried writing or could be persuaded to do so.

The problem is, where to publish? IMO the key to success would be to have an established magazine with an existing single shot/fine rifle clientele begin to emphasize smithing more heavily. I wish.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe
Why not the BPCN? Though the monetary reward might be small. The price of a niche market I guess.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe I can only speak for myself. And as I know the quality of your work. After abut 10 rifles so far.( I should Smile).
As everyone knows you can buy a COPY of articles from ASSRA.And they are just done on a printer. How about you doing the same.J I want one copy of each.Just tell me the price and money is in the Mail.Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
Maybe there is something I'm not aware of (very normal for me) but how about Blackpowder Cartridge News, Garbe's magazine?
Best,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Petrov, While I am not 21, I am probably one of the youngest members of the board. I read this site everyday picking up information that can't be found else where. Before this board started I always viewed rifles as tools not art like a fine sxs. This board has opened my eyes and you have shown me that rifles can be in the same class as a fine double. I am now in the hunt for a nice vintage rifle to hunt with next season but really have no idea where to start. How about a topic for the beginner, what to look for what to avoid and so on? I would like to thank you and the other members for pushing for this forum. While I may not post much I am always here. Thanks, JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what little I know. The problem with magazines is it takes mts to get a articl in. IF ever. Joe howmany years did you wait on ASSRA to do the mounting moder scopes.?? Now figure out how long it would take to get them all published.??? I know I am already 72 and would like to see them IN THIS LIFETIME Smile.
Joe while you are waiting for a publisher. Get the printer out. If you only sell one set to ME.It's money in your pocket without a headacke. Whitey

WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good grief I'd certainly pay for such articles. Joe just did a really pretty piece of work on my bolts and on a quick release on the floorplate of my Springfield that make me want to know just what he did and how he did it. It's unlikely I'll ever do such work but I just love knowning how things are made.

Jerry Liles

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry you are abustley right.Even if you do not want to do the work. You would like to see some of the things involved in building your gun and what you are paying for when someone builds one for you. Whitey

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.