April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, buckstix, ClapperZapper, CJF, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,185
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gang
I think I have a 12ga that looks nearly identical, I will photo and post pics. I do not know the maker of mine.
Thanks, Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ernst Röhm was the SA leader that was deposed in the night of the Long Knives - I don't recall reading of any connection to an Arms Maker.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jeff,
I'd love to see your gun!! By all means get some pics up.

Chief,
I just took some more pics but have no way to post them. The last batch I sent to Raimey and he forwarded them to another member who could post them. I'll do the same with these unless you can post them for me.

Very interesting history on the Romer fellow. I was a history major in college so I just love stuff like that. I wonder how long he was producing firearms and what other guns he made before the blossoming third riech caught up w/ him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know of Ernst Rohm, not disputing at all that he was "deposed" in the night of the Long Knives, but the gentleman who owned RWS, whose name appears to be spelled differently, was a Hitler adversary who was "eliminated" (is that the same as "deposed"?) at Hitler's behest by members of the SS. I do not know when it took place, only that it was before the war began and after the period of the heyday of the Brown Shirts. Even though the names are similar, I believe there are two different men here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PRAETORIAN, Raimey already has my email address, and he did forward your pics to me. I am inclined to say it is a Sauer gun bought "in the white" and finished up and stocked and marked by RWS. That was a very common practice, with Sauer providing many of the guns used "by the trade" and ending up with other names on them. I think you have an entirely usable gun, not overly valuable, but likely one you will enjoy for many years to come if you treat it well. Use low pressure loads in it, it's likely older than you are. The Krupp barrels are plenty strong, just don't push it. Lots of low pressure 16 gauge loadings around. I use both my own handloads and "store bought loads" from PolyWad in Macon, Georgia, available on-line at PolyWad.com.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that two former NSDAP party members with similar names were knocked off by old Adoplh - I thought it might have been Ernst Röhm.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all for the info. I'm glad to have some history on the gun and particularly glad to know it's not valuable. I bought the gun on the cheep to pratice my refinishing skills. I'm getting pretty good at rust blueing but still need some work on hand rubbing stock work. As I have no idea how to case color, the receiver will remain as is. As for shooting it, I am currently learning how to load brass shells for my 20ga parker. When I've got that down I'll switch to 16ga for this piece. Lite loads all the way around!!

Again, thanks to all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Guys,
I took the pics of mine today to compare, I will post them in a few. One other note I have a Meffert action that is also very similar to this one but a little different, but at a quick glance it looks like the same maker. I wonder if Sauer made actions for many other makers?
Unfortunately Pete's photos are no longer visable to me.
Jeff G.

Last edited by Jeff G.; 01/17/09 08:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ttt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff G.:

Frames could have been sourced from Sauer by anyone who had the funds. It looks like a flat top, shallow scalloped frame with lower hinged scears Sauer Model 8 proved post 1912. Are there initials under the right tube near the forend lug?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.