Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
grogel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked up this 1899B and Have thought about getting some checkering put on it.

I would like to go with a a factory offered pattern just like this

I have never had anything like this done. Can any of you tell me if Im looking at a 100 or 1000 dollar project. How about recommendations as to who does this?

Just thinking about dressing up a gun that will be hunted with.

Thanks.

AKA garyg, depending on how confused and which computer Im on.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your range of prices is about right (VBG). You can't get anything like that done properly for $100 but $1000 would be highway robbery IMO; however if some folks out in AZ can get $15,000 for a run-of-the-mill 'custom' rifle with laminated stock, then I guess other folks might get away with charging $1000 for such a checkering job. Not a lot of coverage but both panels are wraparound with border, slightly more complicated. There's a fellow down the road from me who makes a living doing some very nice journeyman-level (meaning aesthetically attractive & no flaws visible to the owner) checkering at a reasonable price, you can email him at classicchecker aht bellsouth daht neht. His name is Tim Smith-Lyon and he's a nice guy, I myself have some of his work and like it, will soon have some more of it.

And, in this case at least, you may mention my name (Joe Harz) without any qualms. Apparently he hasn't heard yet...
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Contact Clint Meier.(cymeier@att.net) beautiful work and reasonably priced. Retiredreb

Sidelock
Sidelock

John Reese Phone: (406) 883-1465
Email: customdiamonds@yahoo.com
Mailing Address:
502 4th Ave. E
Polson, Montana 59860

This guy is a true artist, reasonably priced, and goes the extra mile. He recut the checkering on a Griffin and Howe Sporter for me for $175 and shipping. Tell him Jerry Lee from Shawmut Montana referred you.

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a couple of Tim's checkering jobs and can affirm that he does pretty good work at reasonable rates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim Smith lyon has done 2 rifles for me i prepared the stock and sent them to him with cash. They came back beautiful in a timely manner. Call him and talk with him. U will be more than happy. I am
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing to consider is the checkering done on the gun you show is what's known as "flat top" checkering and as was discussed here a few weeks ago, is a specialty all it's own. It may be hard to find someone to reproduce that.

If, however, you are happy to have the more common pointed checkering you should have no problem having that done at a reasonable price.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, it's my impression that the checkering is worn or sanded flat rather than being cut that way in the beginning, but like Lacey J (Dalton) says in the song, "I've Been Wrong Before"!

And BTW my earlier assessment of Tim's checkering as being journeyman-level should be considered a compliment and definitely NOT a left-handed one! I personally know of very few checkerers whom I consider worthy of the term master or expert, very few indeed. No checkering is flawless, I repeat none. There are flaws in all jobs, the only question is how visible are they?

One key to an expert's work is that he or she can execute a complicated and otherwise difficult pattern in a beautiful design with a minimum of flaws, and then hide all the flaws without seeming obvious and actually end up having them seem invisible to most observers. Tim does this on the rather simple patterns I've seen him do, but I've not yet seen any of his more complicated work such as multi-panel fleurs & ribbons or full wraparound top and bottom of the grip or similar.

I do know that on the examples of his jobs that I've seen, when you look across the tops of his diamonds at an angle you see that all the points are pointed and they all appear to lie in straight rows with no waver. This is one of the simplest telltale marks of an expert but it's an important one, and Tim passes that test a lot better than I can. What else can I say?
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe
Ive gone back and looked at the work Tim did for me and the forearms are wrap around pattern The M/S looks better than pictures of what came from the factory. I decided what I could pay, Sent him the stocks with cash, And they returned better than I thought possible.His website does not do him justice. My stocks look better than what he has pictured. He did say I sent him a prety good piece of wood to work on. The man enjoys his work. I'm trying to figure what I can get him to do next. I spend a lot of time marveling at his work like u would a fine engraving.
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

J D, I cannot speak for the checkering on rifles, but on older double barrel shotguns in general, it appears the checkering was done originally with a flat top. Some more than others. The sharp pointed diamonds are actually a bit tough on the hands if one carries a shotgun checkered that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.