March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all! I'm new to this forum.

I'm a long bow and shotgun hunter who has never owned a rifle, but am looking to increase my hunting options. I thought that my first "rifle" should be a drilling (their versatility and design has really captured my interest).

Problem is that I know very little about how to go about getting one (I understand that nearly all makers are European with Germany being a major center), price range, new or used, makers, etc?

This is what I'm thinking about based on my very limited knowledge:

- a 12 x 12 gauge shotgun on top for both shot and slugs. Hope to have removable chokes with the option of using rifled chokes with Brenneke slugs for close-up dangerous game. Ideally, barrels would be regulated both for shot and for slugs to converge at say 50-70 meters.

- a 30-06 rifle barrel beneath (mostly for vesatility and easy access to ammo).

- a .223 Remington insert for one of the shotgun barrels (long range small game) with an adapter for a .22 LR (quail and plinking).

- short barrel length of around 20-22 inches for easy of movement and carry.

- scope mount (any ideas?) and a scope (any ideas?)

- this first one will definately be a "user" in the field. So ornamentation, fancy engraving, nor fancy stocks (unless to hold inserts and adapters) are really necessary.

I would be grateful for any and all advice/wisdom which anyone might be able to offer. Am I headed in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

Sidelock
Sidelock

TBK you are asking a lot from one gun. I doubt that you will find all of your requirments in one of the shelf gun. Do a search for drillings on gunshop.com and gunsamerica.com and some of the dealers that advertise on this site. I've never seen screw in chokes in a drilling. Most older ones are choked full and full. 12ga and 30-06 run premium for price. I've also never seen 20-22inch barrels. You could get one made with your requirements but I doubt that you will find a used one with them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TBK, I think that Mike is right about it being a lot to ask of just one gun. Maybe even too much. You could look at http://www.bobjonesguns.com. He always has a lot of drillings on his site although I have never seen what you are asking for. He is a good source to start asking questions. Good luck. Let us know if you ever find this gun.

Bill G.

Brett Seibert
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello to you too.
Get a used Colt/Sauer Drilling in 12/12/30-06 and try it out as is. If, after familiarization and testing you still think you need shorter barrels and mobile chokes, contact a good gunsmith familiar with Drillings and disscuss these modifications with him.
I prefer German claw mounts but EAW or similar side pivot mounts are also an excellent choice. As for the scope, I would try Burris Euro 1.5-6x40 with illuminated reticle.
There are many insert barrels (and cartridge adapters) available so the possibilities here are almost unlimited. But I would try to avoid overdoing it as the gun can get too heavy and too complitated very quickly.
Regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

BK,welcome. Another site is http://www.drillinghotline.com. I purchased a 1968 Heym drilling bored 20/20Ga over .270Win from these folks (JMar)earlier this year. JMar has been in the business for about 20 years and is straight forward in their dealings. My Heym drilling weighs 7.5 Lbs and has 23 inch barrels bored I.C. and Mod. It takes a little getting used to with the short barrels. 40 years ago I wanted to buy this gun new from Heym - the only difference was a 30-30 cal barrel. I frankly didn't know how to import the gun at that time and I wasn't smart enough to ask the right questions - back then the price was $360.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most hunters have thought of a drilling at one time or another---I have---and my guess is that most of us decided that it's the hunt that counts, not having all tubes available to take all prey covered by hide or feathers.

Weight is always a factor and some hunters make a fetish of the lightest rifle and shotgun. Most of us learn that something in-between light and heavy is best for most situations. Drillings are generally heavier.

Consider, too, if your two barrels are smoothbore for birds, at what range is your rifle barrel intended to take boar, deer, elk, antelope or moose? Telescope sights are out. Drillings take too much from the magic and mystery of hunting for me.

My welcome also to the board, a good place of generously offered information and opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like and have a number of different guns, but the one that goes hunting with me most of the time is my old reliable Sauer Drilling. Of course I live in Europe and we do a lot of mixed bag drive hunting. - Jani

You don't need rifled chokes for Brenneke slugs...they have their own "rifling". They do work well though.

You will find more guns in 16/16/rifle than 12. It's a good compromise to keep the weight down.

Also, better to get a rifle bbl for a rimmed ctg. 8x57R or 7x57R are very good choices. 9.3x72R is a big slug but a rather weak round. 74R is much better if you can find it.

Scope mounts will be determined by the bases on the gun. Some have claw bases and that will pretty much lock you into claw mounts, not a bad thing but spendy as hell if you have to get a set made up, they are not standard.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. Since I'm a newbie, all comments are helpful including the ones that make me reflect on whether the drilling is right for what I am looking for.

By chance, guess what was also on the Bob Jones website recommended above? An unfired Krieghoff Trumph Drilling 12 x 12 over 30-06 with 25 inch barrels! (I wonder if this is a sign from the Drilling angels or demons? ha! ha!) The price is quite a far ways from inexpensive, though (US$5,450)

I also checked out JMar's site and sent him an email. On his site there is mention of Briley choke tubes and inserts for Drillings.

Just two questions:

a) So far it looks like Krieghoff and Colt/Sauer produce 12x12 over 30-06 Drillings. Does anyone else?

b) How easy is it to get inserts made for for a used Drilling? Do inserts have to be made by the original factory? If so, are the factories willing to make one for a used gun?

Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks again!

gods are

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.