March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

SB_

What's the story behind that 1866 Purdey on your site? I have a Purdey hammergun from 1866 and it looks a lot different - a lot.

Mine has pinfire-style hammers and looks like this 1866 Purdey gun (except mine has a Jones underlever):

http://gun-vault.com/purdey1stthumb.htm

Here's another Purdey with a Jones underlever and island locks:

http://gun-vault.com/singh.htm

This one is from 1871 and it also looks a lot different from yours.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We checked that with Purdey - it was built as a centre-fire, granted it is an early one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

that is not that expensive, but with the concorde out of action it's a major pain in the ass to get to that shoot. quite frankly there are so many things to sample and see that when i take time to go there shooting a gun is pretty low on my want to do list. i would much prefer to shoot driven BIG GAME across the la manche.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The feedback has been most interesting and one suggestion has been that instead of 18-guns shooting 100 birds as a walk-and-stand day, the number of Guns be be reduced to nine and the day be entirely driven. This would give a cost per gun of around £320.

Both formats are eminently possible and I will discuss days available with the Shoot Captain tomorrow (when I'm shooting there).

With sufficient notice, I see no reason it could not be made to work around teh auction dates in November and December (though there are no January auctions).

The aim would be to build the syndicate around vintage gun enthusiasts and give the days a real flavour of sportsmanship and tradition to pass on as new members join.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in England we can cater for whatever the guns want.
If you look at the DGJ Autumn edition you will see what we get up to.
We often shoot 8 muzzle loaders and 8 breech loaders, two on a peg enabling us to address a flush if necessary. These days are all full driven days with a meal and drink all inclusive for £150 or upto £220 per gun for a hundred birds.Bird price and quality range from £22 to £34 per bird.The emphasis is on Sport and gentlemanly conduct.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot driven pheasants and driven ducks both, I found the pheasnts to be far tougher targets. Ducks I can handle, I'm a duck hunter, when when those pheasants set their wings in those long high glides they're tough to make contact with. I didn't kill a bird on the first two drives, finally got with the program on the third and scratched a couple out, then really got my eye in and killed them steady the rest of the day. It's fun, you boys will enjoy it, and it's well worth what SB is going to charge.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Am also interested, but would want to bring my own shotgun(s).

Have had a UK Visitors Temporary Shotgun License at one point that, as I recall, you'd have to organize with the local Constabulary. It wasn't a problem to get, but is a matter of paperwork and bureaucracy 'tho not as burdensome as BATF...

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Small Bore,

Your idea sounds pretty interesting. You say 6 days of shooting. How are the six days arranged as far as the calendar? Shoot one day in one week and then another day several weeks later? Shoot several days in a week? That would make a big difference so far as paying to fly across the pond, expenses, etc.

I have shot in Scotland and really loved it, so I am interested.

My better half got me your book, "Vintage Guns" for Christmas and I found it very interesting and a fun read.

Best,

Quailnut

Quailnut

Virtute et Labore
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds Great Dig!
Let us know what you come up with.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

obsessed-with-doubles and anyone else who fancies visiting a driven shoot and watching the dog work, do a bit of beating and generally join in the fun, just drop me a PM and I can fix it for you at no cost at all. If you elect to beat you'll even go home with a few quid in your pocket.

Location will be mid Wales and you can stay in our cottage for a night free of charge (but you'll be buying us a good dinner in the village pub!)

I can also arrange for you to shoot on a 125 bird day as an individual member of a party of 7-8 Guns on a very pretty high bird shoot for about £500. (I have no commercial interest.)

regards
Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 01/21/09 04:15 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.