May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Researcher, bsteele), 833 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're into dangerous game chasing then 9,3x74-9,3x74/12ga by certain well known Poznan maker would work. It's made on 'Clamshell' action, so it's very expensive. That's hardly surprising, since you probably know how big boys want to pry them shells open! Also it's listed by Puglisi Gun Emporium and they're dreadfully expensive. Exclusive und Expensive BANK

Sidelock
Sidelock

BK, if your jeans have deep pockets, you may wish to consider a combination gun. JMar offers a new Krieghoff 20Ga over a 30-06. This neat combination gun is offered with a 30-06 shotgun barrel inset, i.e., you have a 30-06 O/U double rifle and when you wish to pursue birds, remove the 30-06 tube. Detachable scopes are also offered. I wish I could justify this purchase. In pondering this combination - when bird hunting; if one misses with the first barrel, what are the odds of hitting with the second barrel? This combination also assures that ammunition should be available at most country stores.

I would seriously consider a 16 x 16 x 9.3 - 74R -- a serious rifle round, not far behind the .375 H & H.

Most good drillings are VERY carefully made to keep weight down (think thin barrels where they can be thin, safely). So, you may not have enough "meat" to permit choke tube installation.

If you do find something you like with fixed chokes, you can adjust pattern performance, more than many expect, by cartridge selection -- and even more by careful handloading. Moderate velocities (around 1200 fps), hard shot, then adding buffering, tighten and even out patterns considerably. Spreader wads or inserts, with the opposites, open chokes. Feasible changes are +- one full designation and often more.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
In terms of game and such, I plan to use the drilling for my "backyard" hunts in Hawaii when I get back there (now working in Singapore).

Aloha to a fellow Hawaii hunter!

I've been in the same boat, and I've wanted a drilling for quite some time, but moving back to Hawaii has dampened my desire.

The reason is that according to the bird hunting regulations on page 12 of the bird regs, "No person shall possess any rifle, combination-rifle firearm [...] where game mammal hunting is closed. Only the weapons that are authorized for the particular hunt are to be in the hunter's possession while in the hunting area." http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hunting/BirdHuntingRegs_Chap122-02.pdf

Now this depends on areas, but for example when hunting on Mauna Kea on the Big Island when there are "bird days" Sat-Sun-State Holidays (and Wed-Thurs some years) mammel hunting is closed. While my experience is limited on the other islands, generally when bird season is open in an area, mammel season is not. So you can't use a rifle when bird hunting there. I talked to a few DNLR guys and this seems to be their reading of laws too, the general rule in Hawaii being you are only supposed to "carry one hunting weapon" at a time, a combination gun or a drilling would count as two weapons.

I could be wrong here, and I want to be wrong here, because I want to have too.

Last edited by Chasseur d'ours; 12/07/06 03:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found just what you're looking for BigK, 1939 vintage Robert Schuler H&H SLE 9,3x74-9.3x74/2&2/3" 20br w/ 22&5/8" Bohler special steel barrels/'Dural' frame. Plenty of features: bushed firing pins, full length rib w/express sights, claw mt. with 4x Zeiss scope, 3 cocking indicators, rolled edge trigger guard,.....At 8.4lb thank God for that recoil pad. Good weight for this caliber as .375 H&H repetier should weigh about 8.5lbs empty. I hope you're sitting down, it's listed at 19,500USD @ Ed Stepanow's Fine German Guns 858-485-6422. Never heard of this Herr before.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.