April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Argo44, azgreg, LGF), 141 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,758
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jjwag69 #136890 02/21/09 11:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jjwag69
I would use Mile Orlen to open the barrels. Mike can also do the other work.

I had Mike do barrels for two guns. One gun was done well, and the other very poorly, almost ruined. I won't use him again. I sent a friend's barrels up to Steve Bertram and the work was excellent. That would be my choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
He's done really great work for me and some that wasn't so great.

Ditto. His barrel jointing and trigger work seem to be first rate; damascus refinishing is "correct" for Brit guns but not for most American doubles; wood work is iffy.

Keith is not alone in his inconsistency. I had a gun refinished by a nationally known smith (he even has a plaque in the Cody Museum, so he must be good, eh?), and when I got it back it still needed several adjustments and corrections and replacements to make it right. Replacements included internal parts that had been poorly welded, and we had to rehead the stock to make it fit again. That's twice with that guy, so probably no more. I have only been unequivocally and completely satisfied with two guys, and they are hyper-expensive and backed up for maybe three years.

In Keith's defense, he stands behind his work and seems willing to re-do anything that is not satisfactory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Restoration of my LeFever A drade was excellent. This included wood work, redoing checkering, Damascus barrel rebrowning and minor pit removal. He will get my next project.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
DrBob #136917 02/21/09 03:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sent a Parker to him for a leather covered butt pad and to be tightened up. When I got it back the leather pad looked like a road apple that had been rolled sort of into the shape of a buttpad and then glued on with very visible super glue. To tighten the gun he'd soldered a piece of sheet metal to the roll pin. I didn't send it back or complain as it wasn't worth the trouble of returning it but I never sent him a gun again and whenever somebody asks me I tell them about this piece of work. As with everybody else, your experience will vary.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hired him once. The bill came to $400 after the $25 discount he offered for a choke reaming he botched. Apparently he thought a correct choke job was worth $50, but a botched one was worth $25.

The gun came back with issues it did not leave with and those cost me $400 to have another gunsmith correct.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think he is capable of very good work. He has browned barrels for me; one came out very well, one stunk.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
one came out very well, one stunk.

That seems to be the problem, i.e., you never know which Keith will do the work on your gun. Before I sent my barrels to him for polish and blue, I looked closely at another set he had done for someone else (same make and grade of gun, same vintage). That set was perfect. Mine came back with multiple issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He did very well on the tubes of a high grade Parker, Blue, chokes,chamber length and polish bores.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds to me like Mr. Kearcher is a Jekyll and Hyde gunsmith. From what I've heard here, it's a roll of the dice with him. I wouldn't risk my gun with him.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It reminds me of automotive painters. Every guy who has a paint shop will have a bunch of awards on his wall of car shows he won and photos of cars he's painted. There's no doubt the guy can paint.

But the real question is, "Will he that kind of work for YOU?"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.