March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#137098 02/22/09 07:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've seen a lot of 20g side-by-sides called Pigeon Guns. Usually these are doubles without safeties.

Why would anyone shoot pigeons with a 20g? It doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the 20g load be a severe disadvantage?

Was there a special class for 20g shooters? Was there a different kind of pigeon shoot for 20g guys?

Or were 20g-guns without safeties most likely being used for other kinds of competitive shooting?

I've also wondered if some guys ordered field guns without safeties simply because they didn't want them.

Anyone have any insights into this?

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the above. I've seen 20s without safeties in field configuration as well as tight bored long barrel types. Pay the big buck and make up your own mind.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Buying one and using it would prove nothing, though.

The questions is: were the tight-bored, long bbl 20gs made/ordered as pigeon guns? Or is it just marketing spin used today to add value to the guns (and because we don't really know why people ordered them)?

It seems unlikely to me that people were using 20gs on flyers - unless there was a special reason. I pointed out some of those reasons in my first post.

Also, there are enough of these guns out there to indicate that a lot of people thought no-safety 20gs were good choices. This was not an eccentric choice by a few old gun cranks, or by someone trying to make a point.

I noticed a 20g DHE with 34" bbls and no safety is coming up at Julia's in March. They're calling it a pigeon gun. That's why I asked.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Enlighten me - is a pigeon so hard to kill that a 20 is out of the question?

Sidelock
Sidelock

most old stuff out there will be found in 12-bore with 2&3/4" to 3&1/4" chamber length. i would think next to none would sacrifice pattern density for smaller hole.
my 20ga winchester plus 3/4oz 1100fps "watered down" target load works well on barn pigeons up to about 30yards or so.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually, they're pretty tough birds. And pigeon shooting is a game that costs a lot to play and there's usually money running on your shot. It was all about gambling and winning.

So why handicap yourself with a small gauge? It doesn't make sense to me.

But maybe there are reasons why it made sense to other guys.

Or perhaps it's unlikely that these safety-less 20gs were made as pigeon guns.

That's what I am wondering.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

rich or well connected pigeon shooters gun for special breed of bird. these are not same birdies that fly around sods silo or poop on city dwellers hats.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If somebody was using a 20 gauge on flyers it means they had enough money not to care if they won the purse or not. No competitive pigeon shooter would ever shoot a 20 gauge unless it was some sort of a 20 gauge only match. I believe the Philadelphia Gun Club has done some 28 gauge only pigeon shoots.

I've heard it said that some of the no safety 20 gauge guns in field configurations were made for bird shooting down south where they rode horses. You never loaded your gun until the dogs pointed and you'd gotten off your horse so why have a safety. I'm not saying that's what all of them are for but that makes sense on a few anyway.

The 34 inch 20 gauge on Julia's sure sounds like a real pigeon gun. Maybe some rich husband ordered it for their wife for the sake of fashion.....

Destry

Last edited by MarketHunter; 02/23/09 02:22 AM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I might be mistaken but I always thought that puigeon guns were supposed to be heavier, larger gauged guns. Am I wrong? Like the Winchester Model 12 pigeon grade/ gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wife of a late friend, owns a 20 gauge DHE with no safety.
The story is, her Great Grandfather bought it to be used by one of the women in the family.
He was of the belief that no safety was truly safe and that it would be best for his daughter (or wife, I'm not sure which) to rely upon safe gun handling alone rather than to feel reliant upon a mechanical device. Why he thought that a woman was any less capable of safe gun handling with a gun that had a safety, no one will ever know but in this case, that's how the story went.

Last edited by Alder adder; 02/23/09 07:17 AM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.