May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (AGS, idahobob, graybeardtmm3, Drew Hause, 3 invisible), 230 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,364
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

While this may not explain all of the 20 ga.guns that appear to have been made for pigeon shooting,I will attach a portion of
Page 74 of "The Heyday of the Shotgun" by David baker.It comments on the practice in England of also trapping and using sparrows and starlings as live trap targets.I have also read references to
"Lancashire Sparrow Guns" which appear to have been long barreled,heavily choked 20 bores of around 7 lbs.I have seen a few and currently own one by Thomas Horsley.A 20 bore bar-in wood hammergun with 30" heavily choked barrels and weighing about 7 lbs.It was built for the Marquis of Abergavenny,who apparently was an enthusiastic live pigeon shot. It appears that 20's were a requirement for this version of the sport and it was popular in the North of England where some serious wagering took place behind the local watering hole. Maybe some of our Anglo friends can comment
[img][/img]

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 02/24/09 12:07 AM.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, There were/are several high end duck clubs in California that require/required the use of 20 ga. guns by their members.Our Parker friends are well aware of the heavy,long barreled guns that were used in that area in the early 1900's.Some with 3" chambers. I would assume that the decision of whether or not to have a safety was that of the buyer.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend recently sold a Parker #3 frame 12 gauge with no safety. I'd say that was definitely a fowling piece and not a pigeon gun.

I'm not saying live pigeons were never shot with 20 gauge guns. I'm sure it happened and happened often back in the day. Ladies, young shooters, and men that liked a 20 bore probably did it. I'm saying that they weren't used in serious competition amongst men who shot pigeons as a near religion back in the day or now either one.

I've read of some sparrow shooting matches here in the US as well. The ring owner down in Indiana used to do a starling match every year though I never did get to shoot in it. He'd cannon net them on a big horse farm where they gathered in huge flocks to feed on waste grain.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought an LC Smith,12 bore, 30 inch, Ideal Grade, 3 inch chambers, in the bay area years ago. It had no safety. I always assumed it was a waterfowler.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think there may be some merit to the waterfowling idea.

Didn't Nash Buckingham use a safety-less Fox on ducks?

Maybe the safety-less waterfowler was popular with guys.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the Olympics of 1900 livepigeon shooting was actually one of the events. Some sources say it was an unofficial event, but nontheless it was held at the Olympics.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/discontinued/pigeonshooting.htm

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
A friend recently sold a Parker #3 frame 12 gauge with no safety. I'd say that was definitely a fowling piece and not a pigeon gun. I agree. Lack of a safety is not definitive of a pigeon gun, a pointer only.

I'm not saying live pigeons were never shot with 20 gauge guns. I'm sure it happened and happened often back in the day. Ladies, young shooters, and men that liked a 20 bore probably did it. I'm saying that they weren't used in serious competition amongst men who shot pigeons as a near religion back in the day or now either one. I argee. If you look at the above published information, you see there was almost for sure a need for smaller guns for smaller people. No offense intended before, just trying to illustrate this point. If I were serious, I'd not go to the ring with a 20 bore. If having expensive fun, well, one shoots what makes one smile.

I've read of some sparrow shooting matches here in the US as well. The ring owner down in Indiana used to do a starling match every year though I never did get to shoot in it. He'd cannon net them on a big horse farm where they gathered in huge flocks to feed on waste grain. When I was in Texas, we had a straling "gathering" problem. It would take about 80# dead on the ground to convince them to move along.

Destry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I enjoy trying to figure out stuff as much as anyone, but this is an issue for which there is no real answer. In this example, Parker built over 240,000 guns - so statistically it's not unusual to find that some were ordered without a safety and with long barrels. It's the same reason you'll see 8 billion red Camaro's and one in pink. Every so often someone walks in an orders something screwy.

I'm sure even back then there were 'catalog surfers' - guys who had a catalog and ordered strange combinations just because they could.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for grins find a ZZ-bird ring somewhere. It's plastic pigeons without PETA. For those who have tried both, ZZ's are MORE difficult and the rules are the same. No one that I know has ever even contemplated shooting ZZ's with a 20.

My bet is that they are fowlers. Fox even made some HE's configured like that.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

GregSY-

Of course, our discussion "proves" nothing

It does broaden our understanding of how these guns were used 70, 80, or 100+ years ago.

It challenges some assumptions, too. From now on, you'll think twice about any safety-less 20 gauges you see labeled pigeon guns.

All of this is a big part of what I enjoy about this board.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Now somebody invite me to a pigeon shoot.

I'm always willing to drive to the Philadelphia area to see it done right...hint...hint....

OWD

BTW: Rocketman, not to be flip, but winning is a lot more fun than losing - even if you're burdened by excess cash flow.

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 02/24/09 11:21 AM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.