May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, LetFly, Lloyd3, LGF, ClapperZapper, 2 invisible), 744 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all...interesting
Steve my Gun has those exact same Bolsters ,engraved virtually just like Daryl's..
Daryl, your gun looks awesome man!
Mine is pretty much covered in engraving,the bouquets look very similar to CJOs gun
I believe my bbls might be brazed, as I can see a slight hint of Brassy colour along the joint..I've had a few Francottes in the past & I'm sure I saw yellow on those too
Cheers lads
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
CJ, I am "guessing" that the NL in a circle could be Nicolas Lajot. I see one source says NL in an "oval" is from N. Lasot and Co. I sort of wondered if "Lasot" was a misprint of "Lajot".

Daryl,

Correct on both counts. I did make that typo. The info I have is that Lajot was known for ejector pigeon guns. In business from 1904 to 1925. At that time, I think it became Lajot & Co.
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20l/a%20lajot%20gb.htm

Check page 426 of Vol III in the catalog books you just got. Lajot is there. They show about 13 models.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, ok. I had forgotten that the fine list I was refering to, was from your work. It looked so professional, but I should have guessed. Somehow my computer filing system is not very good with labels, etc.. I should have given your list "credit" but plead ignorance.

Now the Lajot pigeon gun specialty is interesting. It goes a ways in explaining CJ's 20 bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist

Here is the Christophe ejector, sans springs. Maybe Pete or Raimey will know what the stamping is on it.

The Fres is an abbreviation for Freres (brothers)and possibly Bt for Britte? (I speak French but know little about guns!)
Rs
K.
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kerryman, I think you are on to something . Your Britte thought is in line with what Steven Hughes said about Britte making guns, partial at least, for others. Along those same lines, I have found in Lupi's book, Grandi Fucili Da Caccia Europei, on page 234, information about an ejector system on a J. Nowotny sidelock from Cecoslovacchia [sic] . Note that the forend iron and mechanism is a duplicate of my Christophe and that the possible Britte numbers stamped on the ejector mechanism are very close. If one looks closely at the Lupi pictures one can also see the Bt mark on the bottom photo just to the right of the serial no. It is the same mark as on the Christophe. If all this is correct, and I think it is, Britte was making guns for Belgian companies to finish up, but also making guns for other makers in other parts of Europe. Interesting . Here's the Lupi page. I cannot read the Italian, but maybe someone can translate.

I also see in French text of Who is Who in the gunmakers of Liege, by Gadisseur and Druart, that Britte may have operated until 1950 or so.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/25/09 03:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
I have some basic Italian but none for gunsmithing terminology... from hat I understand of itthe Lupi page gives a step-by-step technical description and sequence of what happens during the working of the Nowotny ejector system, at times describing it as “automatic extractors.” There is no mention of the source of the parts.
Rs
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

I agree with Kerryman's translation. It is mostly gunsmith Italian about springs and compression.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

"acier comprime" is fluid compressed steel. I have a Bury gun that may fit into this mix somewhere. As I recall, Bury bought Britte and focused them on parts. Like the Brit trade relationship to Birmingham, Liege part can easily show up anywhere in Europe. Gunmkers bought in parts when it was quicker and/or cheaper. And, it was their business to know who made parts and what the various grades of quality cost; part of the education of a master.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, I didn't quite understand this from your post.

[Bury bought Britte and focused them on parts.]

Of course I understood the Birmingham stuff in Britain and I guess the U.S. , but never gave it a thought as to how Birmingham and Liege may have spread over Europe. Now, that I am paying more attention and listening to all of the info from this board, it is becoming more clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somehow Ii thought all of you were aware of this post on Double Gun FAQ.
Luc Vanderborght is teh fellow i bought my Britte metal from.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6342&page=1#Post6342

This should clarify things a bit,
Steve

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.