Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, anyway IMR or something else will be second step. Now I loaded 560 gr lead over 160 gr BP for barrels regulating, but first of all I have to mesure velocity

Geno.

Don't they just look marvellous!

C'mon man, don't keep us in suspense! How fast did they go?

Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I have shot all these 8 rounds today. Recoil is pretty sensitive, but can't say deadly, it's o'key for me. The sound is something!
I can't say about velocity right now, didn't measure yet, but something go wrong. I spent 5 rounds for barrels "proof" and for recoil test and only 3 rounds for target shooting. 2 rounds from the right barrel - 1/2 yard between holes at 50 yards, all 3 rounds from both barrels are in aprx. 1 yard circle! Badluck!
I have to check all stuff and next time I'm going to shoot 8-10 rounds.

Geno.

Geno:
The grease cookie, or alternative bullet-lube/fouling-softening set-up within the cartridge, is critical in loading BP cartridges for accuracy. If you haven't researched this, Mathews has produced a number of inexpensive booklets on the topic, and Graeme Wright's chapter on loading BP Express cartridges gives a few hints. Without lube in there somewhere, you will be unlikely to fire 10 shots without loosing accuracy, perhaps by a 1/2-yard (!), because the hard crusted fouling from the first few shots damages the lead bullet on subsequent shots. All brands of modern black powder are significantly less moist-burning than originals like Curtis & Harvey etc.

If you already know this, please disregard. Also, others have found that using a drop-tube to introduce black powder into the case reduces accuracy for some reason, but not by half a yard. I think that was reported by Sherman Bell, finding out for himself once again.

Hope your next range session sorts out the problems.

Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finnally!
I made this THING to shoot well!
560 gr solid bulet in paper patch over greese cookie and over 165 gr of BP "White Bear" #3 (FFFg) was too tough for it. Left bbl shot to the left and right - to the right, distance between POI's was abot 8" at 50 meters.
Next reloading and 520 gr HP bulet, paper patched, greese cookie, 158 gr of BP and you can see two control shots at the target (sorry, for the target, got no time to print something more good-looking).
I think this HP bullet and 160 gr of BP will be what I expected.
Next step is testing in wild.
Will be continiued

Geno.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.