Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't care for white glue as well. If you get a little to much glue on it will soak through. I have had good luck with 3M spray contact cement though. The contact cement makes a fairly quick bond if you let it sit(as stated on the can) but if you put the material on right away you can move it if needed.

I to used wool felt and it looks good.

JMHO

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's another of my felt & white glue travesties again in a "French Style" casing. I think I had to elbow a couple of little old ladies out of the way in the material shop when I bought the felt. The unfired Colt Police Positives in 32S&W from the 1920s housed in this rosewood case don't seem to mind the indignity however and they still retain all their blue. I have never cased any long guns as they simply take up too much space. Sorry about the quality of the picture as I had to use the flash.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the nicer modern cases that I have seen recently (including some from Emebbi) have been lined in a synthetic velour. Looks good and tends not to absorb oil. Available at better fabric stores, but rather expensive. I have also seen lately some very nice wool flannel with a tight nap (similar to very fine men's suit fabric) and it's not too expensive. Lots of shades of tan, khaki, olive, navy.

I would not stretch the fabric over foam, because foam disintegrates and crumbles over time and with exposure to oils. I use cotton or synthetic batting, available from fabric stores or upholstery suppliers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, check your Private Messages

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,

I hope you never need any information on a Grant......

Here is how NOT to do it.

Actually this is my traveling case and I lined it with white cotton (t-shirt) material as it is very soft and absorbs oil well. The other side that isn't shown is cut out for a 30" SxS as those are the style of guns that usually travel with me.

PS I used contact cement.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti: What is it they say about two nations separated by a common language?
Italiansxs: I didn't say that it can't be used nor produce good results, just that baize compared to felt (English definition!) gives an better result for a newcomer to this job. Likewise with white glue.
I am sure with your superior skills and experience in case relining, you would have achieved superb results with spit and dyed bed sheet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeti wrote;-
I've was urinated on by my limey friend Salo for exact same translation issue.

Yeti, surely you cannot mean I?
It is common knowledge that I am so mean I wouldn't give away the steam off my ????.
I did post on here a long time ago a link to an English Baize manufacturer up in the North of England who is the supplier to the British Army for material for epaulettes and to the Hunts for their uniforms.Maybe Toby can provide the link?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.