March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (arrieta2, SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

story in the American Rifleman magazine about Herb Parsons shooting a crow at 1250 yards? Could he even SEE a crow 1250 yards away? Or maybe over the years the story grew from 150 yards? Or 1250 feet? Or could you just figure if it was 1250 yards that he was just shooting in the blind and happened to hit it? C'mon, people. Gimme a break.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't believe it either. The article must have meant 125 yards.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

quite possible.....look at the world records for group size at 1000yds....absolutely scary stuff 3 shot groups sub 1.5", ten shot groups at sub 4.5"......way, way out of my league, but with that in mind, a lucky shot at 1250 does not seem out of line.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a uncle, now deceased, that went on a quail hunt with Herb Parsons while on an Olin corporate retreat. According to my uncle, Herb's quail gun on that occasion was a Win. Mod 61. He did miss a few times. He could also forcefully eject a fired case and hit it with the next bullet.

OB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a uncle in NE Oklahoma that told this for the absolute truth.
Some fellars came from Tulsa to hunt quails on an older guys place, and some surrounding neighbors. The old gent gave them permission and they asked if he would like to go along. He said sure, he'd get his coat and gun. They told him they would furnish the ammo, but he told them they didn't have ammo for his gun. He came back out with a Winchester pump 22. They told him they hunted over dogs and flushed the birds, shot 'em in the air. He said he knew how to hunt birds, been doin' it most of his life. Unc said they got into several coveys, got in a lot of shooting. The Tulsa boys could hear the 22 say "pat!" every once in a while, and thought it was pretty funny. When they got back to the old gent's house they offered to divvy up the birds with him. He told them he only wanted the ones that he had shot. They poured them out on the porch and he went to digging through the pile of birds, setting one to the side here and there as he looked. I can't remember how many Unc said the old guy had, but the Tulsa boys wanted to know how he was so sure which ones were his. He turned them over and showed the guys that EVERY ONE of them in his pile was shot through the back of the head with a 22!! Turned out he had been an exhibition shooter for Winchester for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that story. When I get the bad news from the Doc some day, I'm going to book a few days at the local preserve and oil up my Model 61. If I have a good day, my buddies will be talking about me for decades. However, I won't be shooting bobwhites and I won't be taking head shots on the ringnecks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything's possible. I've seen "impossible" shots. At 1,200 yards, I'd give it the benefit of doubt, depending on the caliber he used. I don't think any .22 or .25 calibre would do it; maybe a 7mm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too much comes into play for this shot - one must shoot at this range time and time again. Snipers do it - but they practice at such distances. The average rifleman can barely hit a deer in the haunch at 100yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
He came back out with a Winchester pump 22

A similar story, or another version of it, is in a book somewhere on the shelf. I'm thinking it's in D. Lee Braun's book on trap and skeet.

Or I've been drinking with your uncle and got things confused...my brain is starting to lie to me a little bit. Maybe a lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, the crow was flying. I wonder how much he had to lead it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.