May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Chad Linder, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 696 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,618
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh well, it was once was a wondeful gun. Too bad. Murph, mine is #2010.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore-

It sounds like you took the time to call the guy and talk to him about his gun. Good for you. It's the decent thing to do. And I trust you're a decent guy.

Only a jerk would trash guy's gun before he did everything he could to find out all about it.

BTW: I'm going to see him today and I'll ask him how you two came upon the 12g conclusion.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 05/13/09 03:08 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't talk to anyone about the gun. The bore dimensions were posted on this thread. It was easy to come on the 12 gauge conclusion just from the information provided. There aren't any ten gauge guns out there with .730 some bores. I'm not trashing anyone's gun, just giving good information from the evidence I have to work with. I would love to own the gun just the way it is. I will not contact the owner, I will let him contact me if he wishes to.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So let me get this straight:

-You have not seen the gun in person

-You have not measured the gun

-You have not talked to the owner about the gun (even though his number is in the listing)

-You have not had the gun apart and in your hands for inspection

But you're sure you're right and the seller is wrong.

Interesting.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 05/13/09 10:02 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The seller gave us his bore dimensions. I've been around the block with older double guns for fifty years. I have yet to see a ten gauge gun with .730 some bores, especially not a Lindner Golcher. I think I'm giving the gun a pretty good report by saying I'd like to own it. What more can I do? If a potential buyer is confident that a jug choked gun with ten gauge chambers and twelve gauge bores is as it was made, from the factory, let him bid on the gun and take it home. You're up.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can not remember ever seeing a 12 bore gun of this vintage by any maker that came in at 9&3/4 lbs.....excepting a bore rifle. I'm not completely sold on the idea of it being a 12 in the beginning, but I am no expert on Lindner or Golcher. Interesting thread.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you go any further;would someone please explain "jug choked" and why an o/d measurement over the "jug choke is important.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It might help to explain choke first. Choke is the difference between bore diameter and the tighter "choked" section of the bore near the muzzle. On a gun with little or no choke, a "jug choke" can be installed by increasing the bore diameter a few inches behind the muzzle effectively increase the bore for this area of the barrel. The barrel now would have an increased bore in the area that has been "jug choked" and a constriction at the muzzle. The reason the OD is listed is to give a very rough idea of the barrel wall thickness in the area that was bored out.Much easier for me to sketch on a piece of paper than explain. I hope that was not too confusing.
Steve

Last edited by SKB; 05/14/09 08:38 AM.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the definition from MidwayUSA GunTec

A type of shotgun barrel constriction used on a barrel that either does not have a choke, or that has had the choke or choke thread portion cut off. Using an expanding reamer, a small area of the bore is recessed about one to two inches back from the muzzle. When fired, the shot pellets will tend to bunch up at area of slightly larger diameter, be constricted again the remaining bore of the original diameter and pattern in a slightly tighter formation.
http://www.midwayusa.com/guntecdictionary.exe/showterm?TermID=2956

A jug choke right from the maker is very unusual, but not unheard of.

Pete

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

double check that drawing Pete.....Your area of constriction in the jug choke is backwards....

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.