March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

or better yet one of them domestically assembled zeiss conquests. i did pinch my lincolns on the last one but still wanted top quality piece of equipment. ended up with new 30mm kahles helia 1,5-6x42 and have to say made wise choice in picking that now swarovski owned brand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years back I got a deal on a Schmit & Bender 1.5-6 X 42 off the SWAFT Sample list $650...Had a tiny almost invisble ring mark.
Perfect power for woods gun.

Here's link to the list.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_sold=False

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

You got a 56mm scope on your 30-30, jOe?

I had heard good things about the Valdada optics, but, haven't been able to lay hands on one for a look. You've seen ONE, I take it?

The scopes with "tiny ring marks" on your list sell for about $20 less than what the new, in-the-box scopes cost at Midway, etc. Per usual, we have three people posting who have had the exact opposite experience you have, or claim to have had.

I suppose in a perfect world, all scopes would be Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender, or Swarovsky, et all. This is a Marlin 30-30, used in Minnesota deer camp, at ranges typically not exceeding 50 yards, and sometimes (oftentimes, actually) as a loaner, to a younger, or new shooter. It might not get the care that someone who laid out the cash for one of the above scopes would hope for it to get. A simple, fixed power scope just makes more sense when the entire picture is studied.

56mm, high dollar European scopes have their place, but, few would argue that this is one of them.

Except you, jOe. It is to be expected, it would seem.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted,
Sturdy scopes. Slow repairs like most Euro manufacturers. Schott glass, assembled in Romania. Have been evolving to a larger/heavier size.
No lighted reticle, which is a nice feature on a post type reticle.
I would measure between the bells, as some compact scopes lose their eye relief adjustment because the bells are so close. Makes them a PIA to mount, without combinations of extended rings.

Optically, they are very clear, but not a Swaro.
Better than the fixed power Leupy's.
It is more scope than your hunting situation requires. But you knew that.

FWIW, an older Redfield, or B&L, might match the rifle and situation more stylishly.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

(Not saying the Valdada isn't a good choice for the stated purpose). I always thought a Weaver K2.5 or K4 looked real fine on an American lever gun. Sort of like an American classic mounted on an American classic. Good stuff, IMHO. Plus, you can get them for pretty cheap off of fleabay.

FWIW.

--shinbone

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only one I know of that needed repair took forever to get fixed. It was on a heavy magnum. I can't stress enough the distance between the rings, and your head position on the stock.
A bunch of complex bracketry to mount it will look silly.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thank you, gentlemen.
Best,
Ted
PS Yeti, I can imagine the liberals scattering like roaches in the light when you uncase that particular gun of your's-truly awesome weaponry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Thank you, gentlemen.
Best,
Ted
PS Yeti, I can imagine the liberals scattering like roaches in the light when you uncase that particular gun of your's-truly awesome weaponry.

Teddy I love it when you shower us with such visionary statements.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I love it when you go away for a while, jOe. Not as much BS to wade through. Since you haven't seen the photo in my mail, and can't see what I or Yeti are talking about, why don't you shut the hell up?

Did you notice how you were in a minority of one in this topic?

Why do you suppose that is?

You can come clean now, too-what scope does your 30-30 have on it?

I bet it ain't a 56mm Schmidt and Bender.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
An FYI, I did send it to HJ 'cause he asked I post the pic, and being a single barreled repeater it's a PM thing. For the crowd, it's nothing too serious, a Springfield SAR-3 HK-91 clone from 1991 with IOR 4x glass. It definitely does make Aunties cringe and voice concern that the gun is gonna hop up and start shooting on it's oddy noddy.

HJ neither fainted or scattered.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.