May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, gil russell, 1 invisible), 455 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,351
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first wife's uncle had a Pope barreled Winchester High Wall Scheutzen rifle in Win .32-40 with the false muzzle and all. It was a joy to shoot. I sure wish I could have gained possession of that rifle. It had belonged to, and ordered by, his father-in-law who lived in Aspen, Colorado at the time.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

SDH: I forgot that one as it is just marked "H. M. Pope" but not serialized and coded with twist and manufacturing date, so it is not in my numbers list. Its a good thing I have friends with better memories!

So, revise my numbers to 9/19, and it looks as if almost half the H M Pope barrels are .22 rim and about one quarter of the Stevens Pope barrels are. When Warren's books come out, we'll have much larger samples and thus much better precision on this data.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Pope 22 LR that I have is an S&W, it's marked H. M. Pope on top of the barrel and there are two fired targets with it signed by H. M. Pope. Sept. 13, 1913, one is a 55 Shot target and the other is a 10 shot target. The targets are numbered
4428-688. It's been awhile since I shot it but I don't think the barrel is marked with any code, twist rate, or Mfg. date.
ST

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Hartford Pope. Lets see some of those Popes!

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Set-Trigger

The Pope 22 LR that I have is an S&W, it's marked H. M. Pope on top of the barrel and there are two fired targets with it signed by H. M. Pope. Sept. 13, 1913, one is a 55 Shot target and the other is a 10 shot target. The targets are numbered
4428-688. It's been awhile since I shot it but I don't think the barrel is marked with any code, twist rate, or Mfg. date.
ST

WOW, is that a 2nd Model single shot? We might have to start a new thread with photos! Eh, Terry?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry,
It's a third model S&W single shot. I do have pictures of the barrel and both targets but the last time I put up pictures on the site it took me all day to figure it out. I can e mail them to you or anyone that would want to up load them to the site.

I'll pull it out of the vault later today or tomorrow and check for sure to see if it has any code, twist rate, or Mfg. date but like I said before I don't think there is any.

If your keeping records on these Pope barrel numbers I have four other S&W numbers that may be helpful, let me know if you can use them and I'll dig them up also but # 4428 - 688 is the only one with the targets.
ST

Sidelock
Sidelock

Set-Trigger-shooter & Terry,
You can email to me and I'll post.
sdh AT montana Dot net
I'll see if I can photograph and post my own custom (non-Pope) 3rd Model today.
Best,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will do Steve,
I have to take the wife out to eat, something about it being our 50th Anniversary today, thank god I wont have to do this again for another 50 years. ;-), I'll try to send them to you this afternoon before we leave.
ST

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is my H M Pope 1891 Smith & Wesson in its case with the gold medal from the 1908 Olympics. This pistol belonged to J E Gorman of San Francisco, who was the Captain of the U.S. Team. Engraving by the late Lynton McKenzie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here it is with all the lids removed to show the extra barrel, extra grips, Stevens Pope ammo, small ivory box with front sight inserts, and the small "turn screws".

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.