March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Dan S. W., Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 722 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joe Taylor #563035 01/17/20 11:06 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks Pipeliner
Not interested in selling yet. They are a pair of Victoria deluxe and my buddy is planning to hang on to them. I like the guns but the Malin history is definitely a grey area for resale.

Joe Taylor #563039 01/18/20 12:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks GW

Roy Hebbes #564233 02/01/20 08:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
Frank Malin was ahead of the curve,today its OK; for Purdey to import actions and barrels from Italy, finish same and Market them as a Purdey!My how perspective changes over time.
I first met Frank Malin 1978-9 at that time he was manager of a gun shop in Woodstock, Ontario,named, "Ontario Gun Sports." The store was owned by Frank,s brother; who was unfortunately killed in a U.K. car accident.
Following the death of his brother, Frank established a gun making busines in Melbourne, Ontario.He was joined in the business by Ron Collings a very talented english engraver.
Frank imported actions and barrels, In the white, from the U.K. and Europe. the guns were completely finished at the Melborne location.U.K. proof testing was an optional extra. By this time Frank had hired from the U.K.
Tony Tomlinson, actioner, ex; Churchill *
David Catchpole,stocker,ex; Holland & Holland and Gallyons*
Peter Cook,engraver and actioner.
[*both sadly deceased]
The guns produced were in the best English style and sold for 50% of the cost of English guns of the period.
Frank ever the business promoter, decided to make agun as a wedding present for H.R.H Prince Charles.[A 16 G.sidelock ejector built to the Prince,s specifications.}
By this time I had high hopes for the Malin business. I introduced Frank to my late friend Geoffrey Boothroyd.The result was an article in the British magazine," Shooting Times" reviewing the business and the gun built for the Prince.
It was about this time that Arthur Troth,stocker and metal working wizard and Nick Mackinson master barrel and gunmaker became associated with the business.
Shortly there after things took a Turn for the worse,likely due to over expansion. The result was the business was sold to Barnett international[A Cross Bow manufacture].Following the sale, Frank was named Production Manager and the business was relocated to London ,Ontario.[The book,"Game Gun" by Richard Grozik,contains many pictures of the Malin shop in London and the craftsmen Employed].
The next chapter is a grey area! The business was relocated to Florida and the company name was changed to Saxon Arms.It was at this time I believe that some guns were made that carried the name, Charles Boswell.
Whilst in this transition the Ontario Provincial police charged Malin with 23 counts of fraud and one count of theft.Frank was was found guilty on only two counts of fraud. These charges were related to deposits on guns that were not delivered.
I was to be called as an expert witness, this never occured. The police found that with two minor exceptions the charges were without foundation.
Malin Guns represent excellent value. If you happen to own a boxlock with the Malin name I can attest to the fact that it was made by W.& C. Scott.
Frank Malin passed away on March 8 2006 at the age of 63, God rest his soul.

Thanks for the well informed write up regarding the history of Frank Malin.
A number of years back I became the second owner of a pair of 20 gauge over unders with the Charles Boswell name as well as the Malin name with a London address BUT not saying either Canada or England. The guns were very well made and nicely engraved and handled beautifully. I have always wondered who made the actions; my guess is they are Italian but I could never find a similar action in spite of asking many well informed gun people. There were no proof marks---would have been nice to have. If you can shed some light, it would be appreciated.
Bill

Joe Taylor #565929 02/24/20 04:11 AM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Soon after further inspection and cleaning by another gunsmith we were assured of authenticity and high quality parts. Guns shoot great!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.