May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tim Wolf, smlekid, Marks_21, KDGJ, canvasback), 1,216 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,659
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushmaster, the rationale behind the splinter fore-end is to cover the fore-end iron. It does this quite well. The design of the fore-end was left to the gunmakers,who,though great in talent and ability were in it for the money. What was quickest, easiest and made them the most profit was the most desireable design. It was accepted by the shooting public and that was that.
Justin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interestingly enough, most of the American classic sxs also came with "skinny" forends. The Brits didn't corner the market on the practice.

I like 28's, but way too many of them weigh way too much. (Too many way/weighs in that sentence??) Saw a very attractive Guerini Woodlander 28 the other day, 28" barrels. Happened to have my postal scale along, checked it out: over 6/6. I have a Lindner Daly Featherweight 12 that weighs just a bit over 5 3/4 (with 26" barrels). My AyA 4/53 28ga, with 27" barrels, beats that in the light weight department . . . by 4 ounces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!! Imagine carrying a gun with a splinter foreend and wearing off all of the blue around the barrels and having your hands sweaty, slipping all over the barrels for the same amount of weight that would equal the amount of the McDonald's big breakfast you put into your stomach on the way to the field that morning! Or, not being able to get a good grip on the barrels for the same amount of weight that would equal a dove or a quail! My goodness, what do you do when you have to carry a pheasant around with you for several hours? Oh, that's right. You have someone (probably the same guy who loads your gun for you) run it back to the house in their four wheeler to keep you from having stroke out in the field from carrying all that dreadful weight. Yes, yes! The women around here have the same problem. But the men love to show off their SXS guns with all of that gorgeous feather crotch wood with the fancy checkering on their guns around here. And none of them have to feel that they are shooting a women's gun.

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. I always enjoy reverse snobbery or, as some might point out, hillbilly sensibilities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great thread

Quote:
..... "those abominations which looked like they were abandoned & a tree grew up around them , so they cut it down & called it a "Beavertail"."

Forends are purely a matter of personal choice, many of us simply do not prefer a pile of wood out there that turns an otherwise beautiful gun into something that looks like a Preagnant Sow.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Jimmy,What are you talking about? Justin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy

I must respond to your rant. I have had three of those sissy guns made for me in Spain w 16" stocks. Although I shoot a K-80 for skeet(usually) I am a reasonably confident individual.

Please do not take this as condescending or correcting as I totally understand your views. As a Texan I believe that all people from Ohio are bed wetting sissies

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pre-war, 1931 Sauer 16 26" I just picked up has almost as skinny forend as they come and weighs 5lb 11oz. A Garbi 1966 boxlock 12ga, 27 7/8" tubes, POW, semi-beavertail that I have weighs 5lb 14oz. Wouldn't have much trouble with those in the woods.

I do prefer a close hugging semi bt. even with my English heritage.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KMcMichael
Jimmy

I must respond to your rant. I have had three of those sissy guns made for me in Spain w 16" stocks. Although I shoot a K-80 for skeet(usually) I am a reasonably confident individual.

Please do not take this as condescending or correcting as I totally understand your views. As a Texan I believe that all people from Ohio are bed wetting sissies

Last edited by quailnut; 07/23/09 02:44 PM.

Quailnut

Virtute et Labore
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a sporterized '03 in a CMP clinic once. I could have use a potholder for rapid fire! Takes about as long to get used to a splinter forend as it does to get used to double triggers. Few squads of that "dirt-shootin" abomination of a game called skeet and you've got it. Why is everybody so damned doctinaire about this? Be like Don Zutz. Grab a handful of barrels! You too, Lou.

jack

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.