March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, Sable, nothing underneath and the splinter, best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Jimmy W....As a pinkie high Tea drinking brit ...I have to say that I think you are full of shit..or at least I'll give it right back to you!
You like Clunky Beavertails....fine...
But I wouldn't call you a piss tasting beer drinker Yank ,now would I ?
Each to his his own , man.
Dontcha think
lets leave it @ that
Cheers old chap
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushmaster,

If you are used to a larger forearm then that's what you should buy in a double. I shoot a 12 ga Model 21 with beavertail for ducks, geese, & turkey with mostly 3" shells. Unlike the shooters shooting very light shells for woodcock & such or even clays who can "rest the gun" ,with a 3" mag you better get a tight grip when firing or the gun may not be in your hands for the second shot, especially shooting skyward in waterfowl hunting. The checkered beavertail is excellent for this type shooting, not to mention a second piece of beautiful wood to look at. I do own Parkers, a Remington & an Ithaca with splinters, but I always feel better holding on to wood rather than the barrels. Besides I hunt with five or six guys who shoot nothing but automatics and I never heard any one of them say "I wish I had a smaller forearm so I would have a better sight plane or control of the gun...."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fired some pretty potent loads through doubles with splinters. Once even shot several 2 3/4" 12ga factory "Baby Magnum" loads through an old single that weighed no more than 7lbs I'm sure. Wouldn't do it again purely for the reason that old gun shouldn't have had that type of load used in it, AH the ignorance of youth.
I reckon us "Sissies" that squat to pee just don't require all the gimmicks to protect us the "Big HE_Men" type do, We just roll with the punch & go on. Course I knew a little skinny 13yr old, about 90lbs soaking wet, who would beg his Grandfather to borrow an old 12ga single every time he went hunting in preference to the little .410 his Father had stupidly bought him. His approxitamately 250lb uncle who was solid, not fat, made a living carrying one of those big leather Mail Bags around a large Indianna city, fired it one time & handed it back to his father-in-lae & said he wouldn't shoot it again for $100.00. This about 50 years ago when $100.00 was a fair amount of money.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gee, Franc. No, let's don't leave it at that. Gettin' uppity? A little? I'm sorry, I never acquired a taste for beer. And K McMichael, don't blame me. I wasn't the one who came up with the saying: There's only two things that come from Texas- steers and ?? How does the rest of that go? So, anyway, enjoy your skimpy little forearms guys. Women's guns!! Ha!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing like the feel of warm steel in yer hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing like cold women, hot steel, and trophy capes to bring everyone together, eh Joe?

On the girly-man references above, I'll note that five to six drams behind fourteen bore roundball in this one...

hasn't had me wanting for a forend-codpiece yet.

To each his own.
My old skinny-stocked doubles handle just fine.
My Beretta gas gun and my plastic fantastic 'sporting rifles' all tend to handle just fine too.

The pale-skinned redhead women can be more than a handful!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been shooting Ansley H. Fox doubles with slim forearms for 46 seasons and have never felt the least bit bothered by putting my left hand on the barrels, including 1 5/8 ounce 12-gauge 3-inch shells in my HE-Grade Super-Fox. The only double I ever ran 100 straight at skeet with had a beavertail and a single selective trigger, but I've run 99s with a slim forearm and double triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
IMO, there is no practical advantage to a splinter forend.

Mike that's a pretty Gun Club Queen you got there....with all that fancy makeup and nice fAt beaver tail how many Sterlings' you figure she's worth' ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The late Frank Woolner whittled away on an already-light autoloader (Winchester 59) to turn it into his customized grouse and woodcock gun. He thought it was better with less wood (and weight). To each his own.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.